Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - need a car
Thread: need a car
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
CheeseForSteeze
With extra cheese.

My last car was a 2006 WRX STi and it was $3 more per month than my Honda Civic I had before that to insure. Same coverages. Maintenance costs will rape you, though. I don't understand why people want a turbocharged car specifically. However the designers decided to get power out of the engine, how much power they actually obtained is more important than how they obtained it. And in the case of considering design, turbocharged engines have more moving parts and are prone to failure. It's not the casing, bearings or impeller that will fail, likely some small stupid thing like a vacuum line connection for the blow off valve. Subaru, for example, does the boost gauges dealer installed and sometimes the dealers use cheaper connectors which can embrittle and fail causing loss of indication and can lead to blow off valve chatter because of how the lines are routed.

For that budget, I wouldn't say get such and such car, I would say look and find a good example of A car that meets your criteria.

I would say stay AWAY from the R32's, the VR6 is a notoriously failure prone engine because it experiences high secondary harmonics due to the way it's designed. It's a narrow angle V-6 where the centerbores of opposing cylinders actually fall inbetween each other, kind of like the teeth of a zipper. This causes primary imbalances (a rocking couple about the vertical axis) that require balance shafts to correct, inducing a secondary mode harmonic in the engine.

A car that isn't AWD that I would highly recommend are the TDi VW's from the early 00's. Several guys I work with have all sorts of toys, but many of them have a early 2000 Jetta TDi because they get awesome gas mileage and will run forever. The problem with the TDi's are is when something does break, it can be expensive to fix. If you can find one for around $5-6000, you can expect to get at least 275-300k on the original engine block and internals including seals.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote