Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Minnesota Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
kimchijajonshim

...where have you been riding that Minnesota is a potential upgrade?

I've ridden Welch, Afton, Buck, Wild (but only early season, so doesn't quite count), and Spirit. Welch and Afton are garbage. I'd tolerate them better if they had better lifts, but spending 20 minutes to get back up for 30 second runs wears on a guy. Buck I like since it's small, easy to get to the top, easy to get back to the bottom, and the park set-ups are better. Afton and Welch have truly garbage parks. Spirit is actually a lot of fun, only issue I have with that place is that the lifts are still stupid slow, but the runs are a bit longer and generaly steeper. Parks are fun too.

Need to hit Trollhaugen and Hyland, those sound like decent local places to Twin Cities (but pricier). Never been to Lutsen... just haven't been able to justify the price of a weekend trip + gas when I can save up funds for Tahoe trips when I visit my folks back in California.

I've heard great things about Granite Peak in Wasau Wisconsin about 4 hours east. Allegedly one of the top 10 park setups in the country. About 7 hours drive from the Twin Cities is Mt. Bohemia in the UP of Michigan. That place rips. Atrus, based on the way you describe yourself, I would avoid Bohemia. As awesome (and cheap, $99 pass sale first weekend of December) as it is, you need to be comfortable on legit steeps (not Midwestern steeps) and confident in your riding to tackle it. I made two trips up there last year and it was unreal... got shit snow the second trip though. Still had fun, but it was suuuuper sketchy.
kimchijajonshim is offline   Reply With Quote