Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Minnesota Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
HardBeatz

Gotta diasagree with kimchijajonshim, Buck Hill is pretty bogus. Been there once and will never go back. Way too crowded and urban, which granted is an issue anywhere in the Twin Cities, but their longest run is TOPS a quarter mile. At least Afton has a nearly mile long run. Buck Hill has what, probably 40 acres TOPS of skiable terrain whereas Afton has 300. Afton has 48 runs and Buck Hill has what, not even 20? I'll give you that if your only a park rat and do not freeride at all Buck Hill isn't too bad, but it is not even close to Afton in terms of overall size. Not to mention you can actually hear i-35 while your boarding.

Ill concdede your point on Aftons lifts but once you learn their layout you learn how to get places pretty quickly and the lifts do take longer because Afton is taller than Buck as well. I will agree that Welch is overated but Lutsen and Spirit are both fun if you can make a 2+ hour trip to both those places. Trollhaugen is ONLY good for their Friday night boarding which is $15 for riding from 10pm - 3am, otherwise don't even waste your trip for their short ass runs. Overall, boarding in MN is pretty sad, even Lutsen isn't that crazy and Lutsen is hands down THE best place in MN. The problem being your talking a 4+ hour drive that may be even worse due to weather conditions. Never been to Wild and have no desire to go.

Afton also has pretty dope drink prices if your in to those sorts of things as well ($4 patron shots!).

Here would be my breakdown of the best places in MN (purely for freestyle, I dont do park too much):

1. Lutsen
2. Spirit
3. Afton
4. Welch
5. Buck Hill
HardBeatz is offline   Reply With Quote