Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Minnesota Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
kimchijajonshim

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrus View Post
I don't understand why people claim Welch and Afton are garbage. I'm not a park rider, but have been to many hills, and so far as the runs go (non park) they are top notch in the area, buck is good for learning how to go downhill, but otherwise not much there. I learned at Trollhaugen, haven't been back, heard the park is good, but again, thats not what I'm into yet.
I grew up riding Tahoe. So that colors my perspective. Afton to me was big (for local) but not very steep. Welch is better with a couple good bomber runs, but still nothing terribly impressive. Buck is small, but they have a consistently steeper grade and you're not waiting FOREVER on lifts. I'd rather do short runs with fast lifts than long (relatively) runs with slow lifts. Buck also gets points for me for having some creativity and building jumps bigger than 10 ft... Welch put up some fun features last year but their jump line is lame. Afton... only been there twice but it was like they weren't even trying. I'd still go to Welch for cheap, Afton I don't know if I'd hit it unless it was free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.B. View Post
I've lived in southern mn my whole life, so my day trips were limited to mostly welch, kato and afton.

Where as now I am close to giants spirit and lutsen

Pretty good upgrade in my book
Fair enough. Is Giant's in MN? I thought it was in WI for some reason.
kimchijajonshim is offline   Reply With Quote