Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Jay Peak
Thread: Jay Peak
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
neutralmlkhotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
i just think that comparing snowfall amounts between whistler and jay peak seems like a misleading way to use one to understand the other.

i dont mind being wrong i just imagine that they aren't very similar in any way.

HOWEVER i bet riding when u guys get those big ass dumps that shut the whole coast down for 3 weeks is pretty fuckin awesome!

Comparing snowfall is very valid, comparing vertical drop to terrain grade/steepness or length of runs, not at all. If 3" of snowfalls in Vermont or 3" of snow falls in Colorado its still 3 inches. Making a correlation between types of snow is different.

Jay get a 30:1 ratio of snow:rain (30"snow : 1" rain) that's champaign super powder and the only reason why they get that is from the up-slopping; they get the most snow on the east coast. Its like how Sierra's get MEGA dumps of 700" a season, the storms from the west coast get pushed to higher and higher altitudes super cooling the storm and causing it to snow epic amounts.... but since jay doesn't have the Pacific they have the great lakes that they suck the moisture from and keep getting sent to higher altitude till it hits Jay which is one of the highest elevation (4,000ft) besides Mt Washington (in New Hampshire, 6,300ft)
neutralmlkhotel is offline   Reply With Quote