Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Front Range Driving Conditions
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
snowklinger
Banned!

when things are bad they will close the tunnel at loveland pass, but it is rarely closed for more than 12 hours. often what gets that road closed is not even the weather per se, but some asshole driver or trucker who fucked up and got shit fucked in the tunnel. i remember one time last year there was a truck that tipped in the tunnel with hazardous material. weather permitting u can still go around it by using loveland pass, if its not closed - which it does if the weather is real bad.

driving in the snow here is like anywhere if you are driving through the rockies during the winter you should be prepared to drive in up to a foot of snow whatever vehicle you are using. better even than chains are snow tires, but if they are too much an investment, then yea, have chains on hand. also good all season tires make a huge difference to bald or summer tires.

typically, no matter how bad the conditions, only commercial vehicles are REQUIRED BY LAW to chain up at certain points under certain conditions. personal vehicles are given the benefit of the doubt, and sort of drive at your own risk leeway.

colorado dept. of transpo has a good up to date website with alot of cameras along the i70 corridor (when i'm heading up to summit county i will check out various key cameras like genesee, hwy 40 exit [to winter park], the tunnel, etc). it is well maintained with detailed road conditions.

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

be careful, people drive like complete madness getting up and down from the slopes here....including me! ---awwww crap...