Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#925 ·
already got my pass to Crystal. They're still on sale for $269 thru October 1.

Leo I know exactly where those cabins are but I have never stayed there or gone to the bar. I drive past them every time and always wondered whether they were nice or how much they cost.

Usually when I am up there with the wife or whatever we stay in Cadillac or if we stay at the resort we just go to the bar/restaurants on-site but this would be a really good option for a small group.

#935 ·
too bad the pass pays for itself pretty quickly. If you still can't swing it you might want to check out their other options, you can get a single-day season pass which is good any one weekday (mon-fri) from 9a-9p you pick the day of the week, for only $159.

The daybreak pass (good every weekday from 9-430pm) is also only $159 but blackout dates between Xmas & NYE on this one.

Season Pass Sale | Crystal Mountain Resort & Spa | Michigan Ski Resorts

Alternatively you could get a weekends only pass to Caberfae for only $99.

Caberfae Peaks Ski & Golf Resort SEASON PASSES

#937 ·
Jay just posted a picture of the limited edition NS Heritage on facebook yesterday. So sexy.

There are a few of these left but at $580 I think I have to pass... I was interested in last year's Heritage and passed on it because I'm afraid it's just too much board for Michigan, nothing's really changed in that regard so I should probably not let emotions get the best of me.

#943 ·
That red/silver chrome NS sticker you see on the nose of the base comes on every NS deck. I tried to stick it to the topsheet on my Proto and Evo and it fell off after one run. One of those stickers that only stick good the first time so moving it didn't work out too well lol.

I have two black/silver chrome plated emblems I don't know what to do with. If you want, I can toss you one when we meet up.

I believe the base that you see is special edition only. I think the normal Heritage only has a Colorado theme logo.

#950 ·
The stuff I do is pretty basic too just a bit more experienced than Leo I will do the occasional park rail feature, some boardslides and simple spins on to boxes like 180 or sometimes 270 if I am lucky. Not really good enough to combo it up yet, I am going to work on variations of spinning on (frontside, backside, hardway) and off of features this year and hopefully get better on rail features.

I did break some ribs last winter and also fucked up my hip in February and it still doesn't feel right. I should probably see a doctor about that one...

#951 ·
Dude, see the doc.

I sprained my ankle my first time out last season and it never felt right afterwards. Sure I hit the hills a bunch of times afterwards but summer came and my ankle still was weak and wasn't right. Finally I decided to get it checked out. Some x-rays and MRI's later I found out I needed surgery. I'm having it this Tuesday and even under a worst case scenario I'll be good to go when the season opens.

If anyone cares to read the details (with pic included) I opened up that entry of my blog so the public can read it;

sabatoa: I know that everyone is waiting to hear

#956 ·
EDIT: riding the setup on Sunday afternoon... if anyone in metro-D area is interested LMK.

@Workman - no idea how much it cost Jon to put that together but I know that Powderpak material runs $4/sf... The 15' rail put him back $600 but he's had it for 3 years now so he's gotten his money's worth out of that. The rest was just lumber & labor, but I'd say he's easily in a few grand.

#958 ·
EDIT: riding the setup on Sunday afternoon... if anyone in metro-D area is interested LMK.
Hmmm, its gonna depend on when I go see my mom. We usually go Sunday's; I'll talk to Nicole and see if we can do Saturday instead. It would be cool to get one day in before the baby comes (she will come before the snow).

#962 ·
with the banshee you really only need a few inches of snow. As long as there's like 2" on the ground you can shovel enough of it around to make a nice run-in to any ground feature you can think of. But yes, if you had a strip of powderpak for those days in November or March when there's no snow, it would certainly open up some more possibilities for you.

If you do get the Bungee just make sure it gets proper maintenance as the rubber tends to degrade over time and with exposure to the cold and moisture which is inevitable.

#963 ·
Just as a suggestion... One thing to do to get more snow that we used to do, besides shoveling, was to lay a tarp or plywood out on the ground.

When it snows you can carry the board/tarp and use it to spill the snow into your desired area.

One other thing we used to do, which requires a truck though... is to drive to the mall or a large parking lot and shovel a truckfull of snow from their "plow piles" and take it to wherever you need.

Just some options for when it snows, but only a couple inches and you don't feel like dragging a shovel all across your yard.