Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Terrain and Different Types of Turns
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
NateGC

I agree with Snowolf. Aggressive dynamic skidded is a good bet, focusing on speed control.
For a higher skill level and a bit of mogul fun, I also enjoy leaper turns, basically picking up my board and leaping the edge to edge transition. It's a bit of a cheat move, but pop some air off the moguls and it's great fun.
The other option for speed control in the chutes is to aggressively carve with early edge engagement. If you are talking about blue-black chutes, you should definitley have enough of a pitch to work with, so basically all you do is give the board a good hard torsional flick with your leading heel (or toe) and engage your downhill edge before entering the fall line. This engages your edge before you start picking up speed, so as you extend into the belly of the turn, you're shaping the entire thing, rather then relying on the bottom of the turn for speed control. Again, this is more advanced and a VERY aggressive style of riding. But it makes bumps, crud, and narrow steeps pretty fun and it's a good thing to try out if you can. The key to success is to actively push the board away from you while engaging the downhill edge, otherwise you'll fall over backward. Which I've done plenty of times
NateGC is offline   Reply With Quote