Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#966 · (Edited)
this was our astro turf drop in. Yes I need to add HDPE to the box but it still worked.

we are buying banshee bungee this year to use on this box instead of the drop in, a little safer, my kids can be accident prone
** you can see the box in the far right corner **

#967 ·
Thanks Guys!! Super Pumped to finally get the chance to use this stuff! I love all of the talk about bungees and how to pile up the snow! I have a good feeling we are going to use all of the suggestions this year!!

If you end up getting a bungee, spend the extra few bucks to get the longer bungee. If you want it shorter, you can just tie it up and use the length you want. I think they are worth every penny, and the options are endless with them. We went to a parking lot with a rail, tied the bungee to a car tire and jammed the rail for a good couple of hours. The tire was the ancher point!!

Hopefully some good pics and vids will come!! Thanks again, JON T

#969 ·
wow-looks like the 2011-12 thread is fully underway and we haven't even had frost yet!!! gotta love our Michigan thread! dave, looks like i should be able to dip outta work this wknd 4 the rail sesh. hit me up with the day/time and i should be able to get someone to cover me. work at the marina is slowing down!

#973 ·
For sure!! Always thinking about it. One of the best things about PARX is that the options are endless! It would be great to build some permanent parks with foam pits. Trailering a foam pit around put a whole new dimension to PARX. I like the idea and will make it happen!!! Baby steps my friend.

#978 ·
Was nice to finally meet you Jesse.

Sorry I didn't get to sesh with you though. Didn't want to push my luck.

By the way guys, I need to start gathering information on who's attending the 12/17 meet at Crystal and what days you plan on staying.

I'm heading up there Friday night on the 16th. Possibly even going up there in the morning for a short session :)

So the target date is 12/17-12/18. Staying Sunday night and driving back Monday morning is an option too. I think most of us want to leave on Sunday though after a short session. Let me know because my friend has a hookup for the cabins and needs the plans so he can call the dude up for pricing.

#980 ·
nice to meet ya too dude. only took 2 years lol! i'll be down for a trip up north 12/16-17. i'd prolly stay fri and sat night, leave on sunday. don't really matter to me where we go. i usually look at two things when choosing locations: best pricing and who has the best terrain setup. boyne seems to have a little better setup than crystal but it will still be early in the season so they'll prolly be pretty equal. crystal's usually got the better deal. i think the condos at crystal are a cheaper/better setup than the overly priced rooms at boyne. but thats just my opinion. u guys can decide, just lemme kno.

#982 ·
Hopefully, there will be good snow coverage. When snow is plenty, I prefer Crystal because there are just a lot more natural features to play with.

I agree though, Crystal's park is minimal. Then again, I'm a park noob so that's alright with me haha. We barely hit the park last season though because we were all in the trees the entire time.

#984 ·
The 17th is Saturday so you'll be leaving on the 18th. Sorry for the confusion. I just want to drive up night before so I can attempt first chair Saturday... Long shot seeing as how I love the bar across the street from the cabins.

So you'll be solo? And are you interested in sharing cabins? Not sure how big they get, but we had one with 4 rooms. A master with king, two with twins, and one with bunks. Living room had comfy couch and love seat.

I'm sure there are bigger ones too.

#1,002 ·
I think I'm the only Lansing guy here so maybe no one else will care but I just found out today that they're building a "tubing and snowboarding complex" here at Hawk Island park, complete with tow ropes.

No idea yet what this entails, my guess is some rails and boxes maybe but damn I'm stoked. Hawk Island is like $3 to get in and would be perfect for after work short sessions.