Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

May be moving to Norcal where should I get a pass?

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  RVM 
#1 ·
So I may be taking a job in Dublin, CA this winter and was wondering what you guys would suggest for a ski area to get a pass, most likely in Tahoe or Mammoth.

My style of riding is as follows:

1. When conditions are good: Sick terrian, open bowls, some cliff drops and trees.
2. When its tracked out but good snow can be found: Trees
3. When conditions arent good you'll find me in the park.

Where do you suggest and why?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I can't speak much on Mammoth, but it looks to be quite a drive for you. I'd suggest somewhere in the South Lake Tahoe area....Sierra-at-Tahoe or Kirkwood. You can go for a pass at Heavenly, but I've heard nothing but better things about Sierra and Kirkwood than Heavenly. I only ride Kirkwood (Hit Squaw once for something different), and I've never had a need to ride Heavenly or Sierra (though I would like to give Sierra a shot).

#4 ·
I didn't even catch he mentioned Mammoth! You definitely do not want to get a pass there.

Kirkwood is probably the most bang for your buck terrain wise. Definitely the best spot in South Lake.

Squaw is king. No resort can compare to what they have. Kirkwood is about the closest and it's just not as gnar. Of course a lot of what they have is probably a lot of stuff you can't or will want to do. It's high level, high risk, high injury if you fuck up stuff. So my point on Squaw might be moot.

Sugar Bowl and Alpine are pretty top notch too.

I believe there is some sort of Alpine, Homewood, Kirkwood pass out there. You might look into that. It'll let you visit two of the premiere resorts (Alpine-Kirkwood) in Tahoe and get a vibe for either shore. Plus Homewood is a nice mom and pop and can be a lot of fun on a powder day too. It also has outstanding views of the lake just like Heavenly without the junk show.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm probably buying Squaw. As kill said, Squaw is king. You also get Alpine Meadows included with it, and that's a great mountain too.

Kirkwood has some of the best terrain in Tahoe and you can ride there for $299 or so.

The Sierra/Northstar double whammy used to be an awesome deal but sadly Northstar got bought by Vail.

Sierra at Tahoe is still a great mountain. Some great tree riding, especially in West Bowl. They also have Huckleberry Canyon which is also some awesome sidecountry but can get pretty gnarly in places. Pass there is pretty reasonable but I can't remember the exact price off the top of my head. I worked here for a season and go to know the mountain fairly well.

The combined Alpine, Homewood and Kirkwood pass is for college students only. Gotta be able to prove it etc.

Heavenly just isn't worth it, especially for a boarder. Lots of flat areas there and if you don't know the mountain you spend half the day walking. Plus it can get really crowded, and is probably the most "touristy" of the mountains in Tahoe. I don't know many locals who ride there except for $25 pass days and whatnot.

I think your best bets are:

Squaw/Alpine Meadows
Sierra at Tahoe
Kirkwood

#8 ·
going to do the Squaw/Alpine pass this year, it snowed yesterday. this year we are having another La Nina , last year was an epic year for snow ... powder , powder ,powder. one thing im bummed about is that the squaw /alpine pass doesnt include homewood which is one of my fave weekday spots.

#9 ·
to add to what RVM said, the Sierra pass is pretty cheap at $220 restricted and $370 unlimited. I had the triple wammy last season (Sierra/Northstar/Heavenly), but didn't ride Heavenly (too crowded, pretentious, flat spots, etc...). I loved Sierra for pow days, tree runs, and the laid back vibe and Northstar has great parks and good pow if you get there early and know where to go. If you choose to go with Northstar the local pass (restricted) is $380 and that includes Heavenly.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info fellas! I'm thinking either the Squaw/Alpine pass or the Kirkwood/Alpine pass. Kirkwood would be more convenient but Squaw's terrain looks SICK! I may be getting ahead of myself a little here, gotta score the job first! Flying out for a second interview on October 17th, STOKED!

#11 ·
Good luck with your interview. Keep in mind that it is a friggin distance between Kirkwood and Alpine. Like 2 hours in the winter. If you are looking to take frequent day-trips, then Kirkwood is for you. If you are looking to get-in on a house/rent a room for the season, then you may wish to hit the north shore as Squaw and Alpine are practically conjoined.

#13 ·
While Kirkwood might be 10 miles or so closer to you, you have to take US50 and 88/89 to get there. Squaw is a nearly straight shot up I80. I80 is usually faster than US50 because I80 is a relatively wide and straight freeway while CA50 is narrow and winding. This is especially true when it is snowing heavily. People on 50 tend to slow WAY down to <25mph. Usually even in the snow on I80 people go ~35mph or so, and even if they aren't it's easy enough to go around them after a few miles.

#16 · (Edited)
#20 ·
For what it's worth, I just bought my Squaw pass. It was a hard decision between there and Kirkwood. I justified it because this may be my last winter here in Tahoe and I wouldn't be able to forgive myself for not spending a season at Squaw while I had the chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.