Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Recommend a Reggae Album
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tarzanman
Veteran Member

Ok, so you like first wave ska. Like the term 'reggae', dancehall really encompasses a few types of genres fused with reggae. Everything from club techno (like Mega Banton) to ballads by Junior Tucker. Reggaeton only bears a passing resemblance to reggae...it has its roots in latin carribbean music and is more of a genre with reggae-influences than a hybrid of two types of music.

I don't know much about Afro-dub at all... and my dub (or rub a dub) experience comes from listening to my father playing tapes in the car when I was a kid, so I will have to do some research before I can give you any suggestions other than Lee Scratch Perry.

Have you listened to any Damian Marley? Here's a song he did with Nas - Nas & Damian Marley - Nah Mean - YouTube

I will try to give you 2 or 3 suggestions based on what you suggest. Gimme some time to check with my peeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
I don't know if I listen to a particular type, but I'll try to answer with what limited knowledge I have. I think Ska is alright, but more of the classic, jazz influenced ska. I'm not big on the punk sound that came around in the 70's. Dancehall, as I understand it, is really a club music where Reggaeton originated from (of which I have a huge library I never even listen to) and it's really not my type.

I would say, based on the stuff that comes up on Pandora that I like, my preference is for Roots and also Dub type sounds. I especially like super fat, thick and hazy sound of dub. Afro-dub is interesting, it's kinda like jazzier dub, percussion heavy sound with the dancehall, dem-bow thing going.

I have a huge collection of electronic music that spans pretty much most of the genre but a decent portion of it is deep house, ambient trance, psy etc. you can really hear the dub influence in it. I suppose that and some of the old funk/soul type music that Hip-Hop samples is where I identify with dub music.

You don't have to go to any lengths to really put together anything comprehensive for me, though I do appreciate the offer. Just if you know anything off the top of your head. Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I'm almost off 70 hour weeks so I will have a chance to actually listen soon!
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote