Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - advice on BC gear please
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
ippy

If youre in or near niseko, a nice idea is to head to kutchan for your probe and shovel. Youll usually find some better bargains than you might get in niseko itself. Actually shovels and probes arent all that expensive to buy, but possibly a fortune (comparatively) to ship. Id just pick them up in japan. (but do heed the advice to pick up one that can cut through solid lumps of very very hard snow (almost ice). The last thing you need is your cheap plastic shovel snapping in that kind of situation).

The beacon itself will range from $230 range through to about $450. Its pretty tough getting them second hand if youre outside the US. I have the tracker, it spikes but youll quickly get the hang of it if you practice a bit and get the feel for flux lines. Its fine search is AWESOME though. Or maybe mine is

Its weak point is multiple burials and the fact the damn thing kept ninja switching back to transmit, (my fault for forgetting really, but it needs to give you an electric shock or something for being a fool).

Last edited by ippy; 10-13-2011 at 12:02 AM.
ippy is offline   Reply With Quote