Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Jackson Hole - December 14-18th
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Willbilly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
There is more than enough steep terrain at Jackson Hole to last most people 3 days of riding without having to go into the back country.
Taking someone with no avalanche training and no gear into the BC is a danger to *you*, not them. If you get stuck in a tree well or something then how will they find you or get to you with no rope, poles, shovel, etc?

What might be a good compromise between true BC is to hike up to Headwall or the top of Casper. Headwall and the top of Casper are inbounds, un-maintained runs which are a 10-25 minute (depending on how far you want to go and how well you handle the altitude) hike from lift-served areas.

The best guide to riding JH that I have seen is written by a long time local named Bob Peters. He is a regular on the Epic Ski forums
Jackson Hole Guide To Skiing Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - EpicSki Community (pre-tram)
Updated Guide to Skiing Jackson Hole (post-tram)
Updated Steep-Skiing Guide to Jackson Hole

It is hard to go wrong once you get to the mountain. There are a grand total of 3 green runs. Not difficult to meet locals. Just head over to the Mangy Moose

-EDIT-
Regarding snowvols' post.... I've never met any locals in Jackson who had a bad attitude towards tourists. Probably because there is so much sick terrain (plenty for everyone). Winter is actually Jackson's slow season for tourism. The TGR forums might be a better bet for finding folks who live there than this one.
Thanks a bunch tarzanman! I read through the steep guide and have completely mapped out what my first day is going to look like so i get a grasp of the whole hill. I have a feeling im gonna want to be out on the hobacks the whole time. Is it pretty lonely out there?