Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Jackson Hole - December 14-18th

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Willbilly 
#1 ·
Hey guys!
Anyone here local to Jackson Hole? I'm going to be visiting from PA from the 14th through to the 18th, meaning that i'll be riding the 15th, 16th, and 17th.

I'm looking for a local that would be willing to rip it with the three of us and show us around. I know that two out of three are very good riders (i'm the only one thats been in west coast snow though).

I'll have an avi beacon/shovel/probe but i doubt the other two will and i'm pretty concerned about that. I'd like to have someone that is able to watch my back as i doubt the other two will know. I'll be giving them literature to read on the way there but that will be there extent of safety.

I'd really like to ride back country but like i said, i'm pretty concerned about the other two.

Last year i went to Vail and my bud took me in the back country of West Vail and East Vail and I had a blast. Looking for something as fun or more fun than that.

Anyways, hit me up if you wanna meet up and are willing to show me the good spots and secret stash's and show us east coasters what its about!

Thanks,
Will

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
There is more than enough steep terrain at Jackson Hole to last most people 3 days of riding without having to go into the back country.
Taking someone with no avalanche training and no gear into the BC is a danger to *you*, not them. If you get stuck in a tree well or something then how will they find you or get to you with no rope, poles, shovel, etc?

What might be a good compromise between true BC is to hike up to Headwall or the top of Casper. Headwall and the top of Casper are inbounds, un-maintained runs which are a 10-25 minute (depending on how far you want to go and how well you handle the altitude) hike from lift-served areas.

The best guide to riding JH that I have seen is written by a long time local named Bob Peters. He is a regular on the Epic Ski forums
Jackson Hole Guide To Skiing Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - EpicSki Community (pre-tram)
Updated Guide to Skiing Jackson Hole (post-tram)
Updated Steep-Skiing Guide to Jackson Hole

It is hard to go wrong once you get to the mountain. There are a grand total of 3 green runs. Not difficult to meet locals. Just head over to the Mangy Moose

-EDIT-
Regarding snowvols' post.... I've never met any locals in Jackson who had a bad attitude towards tourists. Probably because there is so much sick terrain (plenty for everyone). Winter is actually Jackson's slow season for tourism. The TGR forums might be a better bet for finding folks who live there than this one.

#4 ·
Thanks a bunch tarzanman! I read through the steep guide and have completely mapped out what my first day is going to look like so i get a grasp of the whole hill. I have a feeling im gonna want to be out on the hobacks the whole time. Is it pretty lonely out there?

#6 ·
-EDIT-
Regarding snowvols' post.... I've never met any locals in Jackson who had a bad attitude towards tourists. Probably because there is so much sick terrain (plenty for everyone). Winter is actually Jackson's slow season for tourism. The TGR forums might be a better bet for finding folks who live there than this one.
So you have met locals who are like yea let me show you all of my secret stashes? If so you're a liar. No one gives their spots out. Just because I don't share good information with tourists doesn't mean I have a shitty attitude I have towards them. It just means I like my spots and enjoy being able to get pow turns inbounds days after a storm. Yea go to TGR those guys always treat people with respect and new people never get "jonged"

#5 ·
Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever ridden the Hobacks. I took a nice photo of the top of them from just below the tram station
( http://riftwave.net/phpalbum/main.php?cmd=image&var1=jh2011%2FIMG_5519.jpg&var2=0_100 )

I spent most of my last trip in the Saratoga bowl and up on Headwall (when I wasn't at the bunny hill with the two rookies I'd brought out there).

There's a lot of great terrain there. It almost doesn't matter what lift you take.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.