Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Did Jake Burton Kill someone?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #85 (permalink)
jgsqueak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboMaster View Post
Skipped a link of logic there. Why are the smaller entities going out of business? Because they cannot compete with giants. If the Gorilla was not hoarding all of the bananas, the Chimpanzees wouldn't be starving in the first place.
I have never known a Burton representative (big gorilla) to reach into a consumers pocket and take money (banana) from them. Please share your experience of when you have seen this happen. "Smaller" companies (chimpanzees) have a tougher time for sure, but usually they lead to their own demise. They are poorly run and the over spend, even though they have quality product and a corner on the market. Forum had a great thing going going, great sales, but it was run with little to no accountability and needed cash to stay a float. Omatic could deliver board on time to save their life (they delivered my boards 3 months late two years in a row and then shipped the wrong boards). In the wakeboard world, a small company called Company went under because they used patented technology and tried to fight it in court rather than pay $2k in royalties. Hard headedness and big egos will crush small business too. What I am saying is, your big gorilla and little chimpanzee argument puts the gorilla vs the chimp fighting over the banana, but in reality they are only fighting for the chance to have the banana choose which one they will go to.

Last time I checked, every snowboarder makes a choice as to what to spend their money on, some make informed choices, some don't. Get opinions, read reviews, demo it yourself, talk to experts, and then for your own opinions. As it has been mentioned on here, there are plenty of stories of every brand's stuff breaking and failing.

And plenty of small companies have made it; Never Summer, Union, all Mervin brands, etc.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote