Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Bringing a girl snowboarding for her first time/Best way to keep her from hating it
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
firstx1017

that is true - I couldn't find any videos of progessive learning on YouTube, that's why I wanted to post what I went thru. Most people just show them with the board pointed downhill and either bailing or running into something to stop. My first priority was to learn how to stop myself. Once I learned heelside how to control my speed, then I moved on to toe side - which was really hard for me to get. I then could go toeside, but took me forever to actually link toe and heel - as you can see in the video I could go to my toeside but when I went back to my heelside I would swing around and have to falling leave again to go back to my toeside. I was stuck doing this for a few weeks so that's why I posted that series on the video. I was finally able to stop the swinging and link heel and toe and I was a happy camper. I noticed the progression watching the videos as my husband taped so I really never got discouraged and everyday I felt I did better than the previous day. I would like to take a lesson this year to get better going down the blacks, so we shall see. And thanks for the compliment - means a lot to this old broad! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Really? So approximately 40 hours of riding from start to finish of that montage? That's it?

Very cool video BTW. I've shown it to several friends that are just starting and they feel so much better after having watched it. That probably sounds insulting, but I mean it in a positive way. There are videos of high end riders, videos of instructors, but no videos of what it is actually like to learn. They fall a lot, they get frustrated and while I keep telling them that everyone starts like that, they don't see their own progress (particularly the phase where you're transitioning from falling leaf to turning across the fall line)
firstx1017 is offline   Reply With Quote