Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

2011/12 Europe Trips

6K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  Aliaz 
#1 ·
There's a distinct lack of activity in this forum. Let's do something about it!

So, what trips are you guys planning for the following season, and to where?

As for me, I'm going to:

Laax, Switzerland (long weekend)
Val Thorens, France (week)
Mayrhofen, Austria (week)
Zermatt, Switzerland (week)

... in that order.

Zermatt is my favourite resort, so I always look forward to going there. I've heard good things about VT and Mayrhofen (Austria is amazing), so I'm very excited to be heading there, too.

Laax was a last-minute spur of the moment booking, but I've only heard good things.

You?

#3 ·
I'll probably be going to Avoriaz, Portes du Soleil =)
Looking forward to it very much, i've also been there 2 years back, 650km of slopes yea! And dont forget about the sweet park in Avoriaz ;)

I'm hoping to go to mayrhofen aswell, the problem is transportation... oh well, i'll work something out!

#5 ·
Maaan, who would say a bad opinion about Val Thorens?;)
I mean there can be an inconvenience if You stay in the village of Orelle, cos it's in the very end (or beginning) of the ski area and it'll be a problem to go to the Courchevel valley. You'll get there, but won't have too much time to have fun there unless you'd stay there overnight..

#7 ·
Hoping to head to Austria, at least my missus and I are looking for work as a chalet host couple, which will mean we get to ride all season:thumbsup:
I have heard things about St Anton Am Arlberg, it will chew you up and spit you out as far as apré ski goes:D From what a read, it has a reputation.....but I am going for the snow, not the nightlife.......;)

#9 ·
Will be hanging out in Fiss, Austria for the whole season. Has anyone ever been there and got stories to tell? I will of course offer my 2 cents as and when I have stories to tell. Lets try and get this West Europe section going a bit:D:thumbsup: Too many tumble weeds blowing around.....

#13 ·
I'am organising a snowtrip to the winter x games Europe 2012 in Tignes! The organisation is called Urban Valley.

Incl. in the price:
- 10 day trip with a royal class autocar
- 7 nights in apartment
- 6 day skipass
- Free "après-ski" every day
- Parties with our own dj's (Hiphop - RnB - Reggae - dubstep)
- A goodiebag for everyone filled with lots of goodies!
- Louds of prices to win! 2 x Summertrip to Chatel (FR) for 2, 2 x snow goggles, 1 x snowboard helmet, ...
- The winter x games Europe 2012 (free event)

All info: urbanvalley (dutch website)
Mail for english response: info@urbanvalley.be

Grtz

#20 ·
Went to St Anton over Xmas - absolutely dumping so it was good to get just off the pistes (pistes were getting mega mogulled by hoardes of skiiers). The town had a really cool vibe actually - apres ski was a bit more exciting than the typical quiet Austrian resort! Weekend trip to Soll also was nice with lots of powder and few people.

Going to keep busy with weekend trips to the Wilder Kaiser area (Westendorf - yeah!) and also St Anton / Ischgl / Lech (I hear Lech is a boring town to stay in but has a great mountain).

Also got weeks planned in Davos (Feb) and Chamonix (Apr).

Can't concentrate on work just want to get out there!!!:D

#23 ·
it must be sick living that close that you can do weekends, do you drive home for the night? or grab a b&b/hotel? I'm coming the 10th Feb with a mate for the weekend, but it's a good 6hrs drive :(, then I'll be looking to board somewhere else 2 weekends later by myself before I return with the GF in march.
Bet you'll be out this weekend on the pow? there giving 30+cm

#25 ·
Yup, bucketing down so off to somewhere.

I often go with my GF and, (no offense to her!), it would be nice to board with some faster people once and a while. Sometimes it is nice to do the stay-overs in the B&Bs to get a bit of the apres ski in avoid the traffic. If you are down somewhere let us know if you want someone to cruise around with - we are off to Austria every weekend so!

#28 ·
Arrived back from ValTho today. The snow wasn't the best I've seen in France, but it was pretty good high up and, some crusty snow aside, there was plenty of off-piste action to be had. Laax back in December was amazing. Waist-high powder that kept falling and falling. Best snow I've seen in Europe in a long time!

I have a week rest before heading to Mayrhofen next Saturday, which I can't wait for as I've always wanted to go. I've been to Ischgl, St Anton and Obergurgl, but always wanted to visit the Hoff.

Good to see more snow is on the way, too. 11/12 is shaping up to be a great season for Europe!

#29 ·
@Pinguin - thinking of driving down for the weekend, where are you at? I'm thinking of either ellmau or Soll and boarding in the ski welt. Would be nice to board with someone that knows the area a bit as I haven't been there or a few yrs, after val thorens, chamonix and mayrhofen.
if you wanna meet up just let me know!

#30 ·
Hey skippy, I haven't made plans for this weekend yet, but was thinking of a day trip to somewhere in the Skiwelt. Soll was good, but a little small (been having lots of snow so there were some nice little off-piste runs). Scheffau is the same as Ellmau right? If so I have been there a few times - normally tonnes of skiiers but a friend went last week and said that because of all the snow it was pretty cool.

I am keen to check out Westendorf at some point, may be this weekend.

Anyway, not too knowledgeable about all the places down here - that's about all I know! Will let you know what eventuates as the weekend gets closer...

#32 ·
Hey Skippy - it is a shame but I have to skip this weekend - flat broke and need to go buy new boots :( Will be around that area for both of the following two weekends though.

Lots of friends cruising around that area and they are totally stoked - one guy said he hasn't seen snow this good in 10 years here!

#34 · (Edited)
So after a night drive ( we left at 00.00 friday night) we arrived at 7.30 in Ellmau. We had a massive snow storm from 180KM above Munich until in Austria, but after Munich it lightened up a bit. After brekkie in Ellmau we headed up the HartKaiserbahn and had quite a bit of mist. We boarded/skiied until 14.00 and then headed back down to Ellmau to check-in in the AlpKing Hostel in the center of Ellmau. I would not recommend this place to anyone unless your really stuck for a place like we were. The room wasn't ready/empty and we had to wait till +/- 17.00 to get in. Being a hostel it's shared toilets and bathrooms ( fairly clean) , but very noisy and the breakfast wasn't worth writing a report :), one roll per person and only toast and jam. Coffee and tea was there, but the OJ was watered down. A good brekkie before a days ride is what you really need, and we didn' find it there.
Sunday was a complete white out and the trail markings in Ellmau/scheffau aren't that great which made riding quite tough.
We took 2 ski-routes down to scheffau, one was a nice long 5KM run, the other was a black run full of moguls, but fresh snow, as not many people had been over this run in the last week since it snowed. It was the worst trail I have ever rode. Esspecially with the mist it was tough. I made a massive smack and for one moment though I would have to be picked top and taken down in a banana boat or even a heli, I was dizzy and fairly sore with a massive headache. I hit a mogul trying to get a bit of speed for the uphill after it, but didn't see the second mogul and made a nice double front flip and landed somewhere in between on my head. , goggles and beanie were about 10m behind me, and I headed the snow as deep as my mouth ;-)... Still got a sore neck at the moment.
We packed it in at about 13.00 to head back down to Ellmau and left at 13.30 to drive back to Belgium. Got home at 20.00.

Even though all the b&b's were full and we just managed to find a bed, I found the slopes empty and no waiting at lifts.... maybe we were just die hards and no one else wanted to ski in the mist :rolleyes:

I'll be back there next weekend with a mate, hopefully a bit of fresh snow( they forecasted more than 15CM of snow last thursday/friday/saturday, but unfortunately nothing fell :( ) and no mist/fogg
I found the Cantina/bar mexican a good place to drink & eat :thumbsup:, also great staff!

#35 ·
Ah man too bad about the weather and the fall! I had a friend down at Scheffau and he said he couldn't even tell which way was up or down hill! Hopefully should be clearer weather this weekend (but colder!). Skippy where are you planning on going? If it is in that area, then Westendorf might be the best bet...

#36 ·
not going this weekend, but there the following weekend. back in ellmau, we arrive friday, so will have a chat around and if it's foggy, we might try the other side of the mountain straight away, it's only 3min drive there..

wish i could be back this weekend, but have a trip to holland planned ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.