Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Working at Mammoth for a Couple of Months

5K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  DigO 
#1 ·
I got a job at Mammoth for this season. It's only for a couple of months, so I won't be doing anything fancy. But as long as I work the minimum it takes to cover employee housing and food and am able to ride most of the time, I'll be happy. Could you guys shed some light on what to expect (roomies, food, lifestyle, anything else you can think of) Give me the good and the bad! :)

#2 ·
Congrats on working for the mtn. hope you didnt plan on riding everyday! My first year there I had a job working with the mountain and worked six days a week from christmas until presidents day weekend, then down to five days a week. SOmetimes got lucky and didnt have to go into work until 10:30 so I could ride for a couple of hours. But I watched many a fine powder day through the windows and had to listen to plenty of gapers saying "why are you in here?, its DUMPING out there!" ...because the mountain owned me. Dont take it the wrong way, as its still fun and beats most other jobs out there. (except for food service jobs off the mountain at night so you can ride every day and wont miss any of those really epic powder days.)

Employee housing could be good or bad, depending on roommate situation. I had two really bad ones at first but then we got rid of them and our apt was cool thereafter. Most everyone is there to have a good time so as long as you are too and you actually know how to live with other people you should be fine. Dont buy a thirty pack of beer and lock it in your closet because you dont want to share! no one will like you.

and go to june...

#3 ·
Haha well... I WAS expecting to board most of the time, so that's kind of a bummer. I didn't calculate it out or look into it, but I was hoping to work about 20 - 25 hours a week. From what I hear, I'll be a gopher, working in various departments. How much of that money did you use towards essential living expenses and how much was for other things?

Also, what do you mean go to June?

#8 ·
20-25 hours a week would atleast allow you a couple of hours riding everyday. but most likely in the morning so you would have to be willing to get up early and get to the lifts on time to get a solid session in before work. thats what I did when I had the chance and it made the day alot better. The thing about calling in sick and trying to ride is true.. you will get flagged. UNLESS, you have a roommate like me that works at june and will let you on the bottom lift without scanning your pass. June is a small mountain 30 mintues away that only has about 150 people riding a day it seems. runs all to yourself at times and fresh lines all day if you catch a powder day.

I lived in dorms; mine had three bedrooms with two beds each. Sucked sharing a room at first but we got some folks re-located so that two of us had our own room. The rent comes straight from your pay check and if that doesnt cover it you owe the rest every week. I worked 35-37 hrs and had about 150 left over for expenses (read: Beer) every week. plus a second job 3 nights a week, so i got to save a good bit. got the second job so i wouldnt drink every single night...

and i worked at a cafe so i got lunch free everyday i worked and like 50% off everything else.

#5 ·
I do not know much about Mammoth specifically but most resorts are similar. Be prepared to be treated like a second class citizen. Almost all resorts treat their employees like shit. Living in the dorms can be fun since most people are just there to have fun. However, try to get a room by yourself or find some place to rent if you can. I remember some people that lived in dorms had bad experiences. The dorms were most of the seasonal people lived were the worst. Like people would get shit faced and barf all over the room and bathroom as well as yelling and screaming at like 3 and 4 in the morning, people getting in fights, and a lot of shit getting stolen.

Also If you do not show up to work and go snowboarding they will flag your pass and a lot of times fire you so if you plan on doing this try to buy your own pass.

Some jobs at a resort can be great but most are really bad. I know some people that work at the resort that get to ride 7 days a week. They work at night for the resort and get to ride all day. So it all just depends on the job but a lot of the jobs are a shit show.

also sometimes if your nice to people in your department and other departments as long as there not dicks you can get a lot of favors like free food or better shifts that let you get out and ride more.

#11 ·
Bring your camera. Shoot lots of video and document all the drama. Later, turn your experience into a movie

#18 ·
Haha it was definitely a good read. I don't consider myself that naive (but maybe he's writing about people exactly like me hah). The only concern I have is the lack of time to board. Not the drinking and eating problems nor the developed hatred for those that are able to board while I can't. BUT would it be a better idea to get a job at a restaurant somewhere in town? I don't mind washing dishes if I can board for a couple of months. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a job as a sushi chef since I've been doing that for 3 years :rolleyes: Then of course I'd have to find a place to live and buy my own season pass. But I'd much rather shell out the money than board twice a week.

Also, DaToast, was that at Mammoth?

#15 ·
We had some french kids steal and burn a couple of cars this summer. So it can get kinda out of hand.

There is a big difference between the professional positions and the hourly/seasonal people. I work in the professional area of the ski resort and I do not have to deal with all the shit the seasonals deal with. I would never work for a ski resort as an seasonal person. It is funny watching the seasonal snow carnies have the life drained out of them when it hits them that they will not be able to ski/snowboard much at all. Since I work in the professional area of the resort I can take off during the day to go hit the mountain for the most part or hit the mountain after a storm and come into work latter.

If you go into with the idea of being able to get a lot of snowboarding in you will be depressed and hate it. If you go into with the idea of making some money and getting to meet a lot of new people and snowboard some you might enjoy it. Also in my experience the foreigners are usually really nice and the Americans kids act like a bunch of high school kids that think that there hot shit.

Also do not assume that since the people work at a resort that they all love to ski/snowboard. There are a ton of people that work at resorts that have never ski/snowboarded in their life and hate the winter and will remind you on a constant bases that the winter is the worst time of the year.

#21 ·
i actually worked at a sushi place when I was there, but I think it has closed. Easy to get jobs at restaurants. Just go in on a friday night or skip a powder day (hard, I know) and ask to work right then. Chances are kinda high that some cook skipped out and/or they need some help with dishes. Thats how I got my job and turned into 3-4 nights a week. But if you commit to full time with the resort you might be kinda stuck unless you have a cool, understanding boss that will cut your hours

#23 ·
Did you specify full-time or part-time when you registered for your job? (if you did it online and I remember correctly, you had to choose one). If you put p/t then I think the total hours is under 25 so you might be in good shape. but if you put f/t then I think you are going to be working 30+ every week, most likely 35

#28 ·
The only benefit that was significant (because I don't remember the other ones) was the healthcare during working hours. But it wasn't applicable to when I would be boarding. So essentially, if I got hurt handing someone boots at the rental shop then I'd be covered :laugh:

#29 ·
Anyone have a good resource for finding a place? I've checked many sites including mammothlakeshousing.com, trulia.com, and mammothrentalbyowner.com. I've sent a couple of the listings an e-mail but haven't heard back yet. I've also posted in the general chat forum as well as Mammoth's forum. Wanna continue searching :)

#32 ·
Which job positions on the mountain will let you take more riding breaks?

I`m also going to work on the mountain this season, at a small resort, and I`ll work at the rental shop. I hope I can get breaks in the middle of the day, when the rental shops get less busy.

::Editted:: to add the word "riding" at the question above, which is very important to highlight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.