Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Lobster Snowboards Reviews Anywhere?

14K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  apintojr 
#1 ·
Can anyone find a review of any of the Lobster boards? There is one on Youtube by SnowboardReviewTV but i dont think that one helped a lot. If you have one and have ridden it, would you mind putting a small review up? Thanks

#6 ·
you will not get any reviews because the boards were released really late, however they are selling so i am sure people will start posting soon!
however YES the Lobster boards are designed by Bataleon, so they come with TBT and are manufactured in the Elan factory.
wanna try a Lobster board? go try Bataleon!! Triple Base Technology
YEAH FOR IT!!!!!!!!!

#8 ·
If you are looking for a board that can press well than the parkboard is really going to be too stiff. My friend just got the jibbaord and I got a Bataleon Airobic and they are both really soft (the jibboard is noodle, Airobic still soft though). As for the Parkboard, when I felt it at my local shop it felt SOOOOO stiff! I was shocked. It really was hard to bend, even though lobster describes it as being jut 2/10 and 1/10 stiffer than the Jibbaord/Disaster and Airobic respectively. The artist edition is even stiffer. So honestly if you want to press do not go for the Parkboard A.E. and maybe even reconsider the Parkboard entirely.

If you are looking to just do jumps, on the other hand, go for it.

#11 ·
Well you shouldn't hold me 100% for my word that the A.E. of the Parkboard is stiffer, but I do know for a fact that the A.E. of the Jibboard is stiffer. Also, the Airobic is by no means even the slightest bit stiff, but it is not a noodle and I think that I will be okay for doing jumps on it. It is basically as easy to press as the Artifact Rocker I stepped on but it DEFINITELY has quite a bit more pop (I was initially going to go with the Rome butafter I got it I instantly returned it because it was a floppy noodle). So yeah the difference between the Lobster Parkboard AE and the Airobic is going to be fairly big IMO. I am not trying to say the Airobic is too soft, I mean it is the board that I personally will be riding this year. On the other hand, I am not telling you that the Lobster is for sure too stiff. If you have seen/felt the Lobster in your local shop and you think it has a good flex and that you would be able to press it easily then go for it.

And Earl, I am not saying that the Parkboard is unpressable, but I do think that it would be more fun to press on something softer. And to me, snowboarding is about fun. If you will have more FUN pressing on a softer board, why get a stiffer board just because it would still be possible to press? Obviously you do not need a noodle to press well, and it is all about preference. My personal preference is just for a softer board like the Airobic. I am just giving my opinion(and I know more than anyone that a board which is too soft is just terrible overall - my last board was a 137 and it was way too small and soft, I would go over the handle bars all the time and wash out on the slightest off center landings).

#14 ·
Yeah, a stiffer board will be better for carving, but more noticeably when riding choppy snow. A stiffer board will be more stable, powerful, responsive, and more dampened. A softer board, however, will be just fine at lower-medium speeds and on hardpack and groomers you shouldn't have any problem. Ice is a larger issue, and many boards will have trouble maintaining an edge. Overall, stiffer= better all mountain and therefor better carving and stability on variable terrain.

I might also add that I am 140 pounds and the board I rode last year was a size 137 forum youngblood that I got in '07 (when I weighed 40 pounds less and was 6" shorter). I bombed hills as often and as fast as I wanted, and while I took the very occasional fall due to loss of grip on ice (I ride in southern PA where the ice gets REALLY bad) or just loss of control on choppy snow, I was usually fine and very rarely had any issues. I had to work a little harder, but I could ride all around just fine. So I think that something like the Disaster really should be fine for charging around, and any board for that matter should be at least ridable (unless you are doing back country cliff drops, which I wasn't on my 137 forum).

#22 ·
Well rode pretty good these past weekends. I'm loving the board. It is a tad stiffer then i previously noticed but not a deal breaker for me. im coming off a Scally that was noodle and wanted something more firmer. Board just rips the park. just a little more effort into presses is all that's needed.

#17 ·
I did one in the board forum of the Lobster Freestyle. Amazing board.

I figured I would do a quick review on my new board for this year.
We will be talking about the Lobster Freestyle 2012/13

Specs-I am riding the 152 cm version (Burton Missions Bindings). The board has a medium to stiff flex, and a cambered profile, with Triple Base Tech.

(if you don't know what triple base is I suggest watching this video https://vimeo.com/26479625 and checking out this web page Lobster Snowboards)

Initial thoughts- This was the first board I have ever ridden that had Triple Base Tech (Or TBT) Also keep in mind this was my first day riding in over 8 months.
The first few runs made me feel a bit rusty as I got adjusted to TBT. On a normal board when you carve you feel your edge immediately bite into the snow, however on this there is this feeling of "rolling" onto my edges. The first few runs I would wash out as I tried to bite my edge in and would end up leaning too far and slipping onto my knees/back.
Once I was adjusted carving felt better than it ever has. It makes the board feel much more loose, and "floaty" when I am free riding it. Even with this TBT the board remains very responsive and can maneuver as well as any board I have ridden.
The board also has a lot of pop due to it's flex pattern and camber. This made it a lot of fun to just hop around doing flat ground 180's ect.

After getting adjusted I took the board to the park. This is where the board really shines!
(Our local hill did not have any jumps set up, so I will be updating this thread when I can speak on how the board handles off of kickers.)
The pop is excellent for getting onto taller rails without much effort. You would think TBT would make 50-50's and presses harder but after shaking off the rust they felt as locked in as ever.
My personal favorite part, was how the board handled on perpendicular slides. Frontside and Backside boardslides in the center of the board (With the rail in between the bindings) felt normal. When I started doing slides on my nose, and tails, I could really feel the TBT.
On a normal shaped board when sliding through features sideways you have to be extremely careful to stay flat based. While on this board you still have to keep your base flat, I personally felt as though the TBT lifting my edges away from the rail helps to avoid catching. It made it easier to learn a few new tricks that you have to spin into (like cab 270 front board 270 out on a flat box) The TBT really helps add a jib element to the board and brings the package around full circle for me.

If mother nature agrees with me this year, I will also update this thread on how the board preforms in powder. I imagine the TBT will make all the difference when riding in the white stuff.

Please leave thoughts in the comments. This is my first board review so criticize away, whether it be on content, or structure ect.

#21 ·
according to my research, bataleon's evil twin is about $50 more than lobster's corresponding park board...however, bataleon's disaster is about $20 less than lobster's corresponding jib board. Don't know why the fluctuations in price, but I doubt there's any difference in quality/materials between the brands

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.