Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

What do you look for in a snowboard hoodie?

5K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Justin 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i own a clothing company and i'd really like to make some winter hoodies this year. I've asked a few friends but i wanted to get some other opinions.

What do you guys look for in a snowboard hoodie? Lots of pockets? Warm? Colors? Etc.

#8 ·
Cotton is rotten, affirmative. We will look into some non cotton fabric, but making a non cotton hoodie isn't easy unfortunately.

agree with the not-cotton! I'm happy to pay more for a hoodie that is a little more technical. For years I've worn the burton bonded hoodie as a mid-layer. Its been good to me. I'd love to see what you can come up with, as would many other forum members I'm sure.
Also, and I'm not sure how to describe it. I really like hoods that are sewn so that they don't stick up in a point when they're on your head. anyone else agree with me on that one?
Yes, i know exactly what you mean, makes you look like a fool when it "pops" at the top.

I'd be willing to pay any amount of money if my hoddie came with a unicorn. You let me know....;)
Ill work on that. :cool:

#4 ·
agree with the not-cotton! I'm happy to pay more for a hoodie that is a little more technical. For years I've worn the burton bonded hoodie as a mid-layer. Its been good to me. I'd love to see what you can come up with, as would many other forum members I'm sure.
Also, and I'm not sure how to describe it. I really like hoods that are sewn so that they don't stick up in a point when they're on your head. anyone else agree with me on that one?

#10 ·
I like wrist gaiters

And can't be cotton if it's for riding.

Media pocket in the chest area.

Higher neck zipper (so it can zip to your chin and not leave the neck exposed.

Roomy Hood.

There are a few gimmicky ideas that aren't that bad. I like the plastic "Cigar Tube" with designated pocket. Great for those on the big mountain who need a place to stash their...uh...cigar, and not have to worry about it getting crushed.

#12 ·
Well, the cotton thing has been beaten to death, so we all know there's that. Then, for me, it needs to zip up a little higher than normal, and a non pointy hood is also good. Thumb holes are great as well. Last but not least, some kind of easy access media or pass pocket.

#20 ·
Pretty much. Sessions softshell hoodies are the shit. Almost perfect. I have two of them. THe only thing I'd change is the elastic material around the cuffs and waist. Snow sticks to that shit like a mother and it's tough to keep ice build up off of it. Other than that, yeah, they're pretty much nailing it.

#17 ·
i know its a small market but something in a tall size would be amazing and like to 2 above me said, slim and long. personally i would like to see one without a front zipper, just a pull over. however i tend to like things that aren't overly popular lol so maybe just do the opposit.

#18 · (Edited)
I hate those long hoodies that are halfway down my thighs. Not everyone is a 18 years old boarder with long hair, 5'11' and 145 lbs. Nothing is worse than a hoodie that hangs lower than your jacket. I'm thinking if you wear your pants around your waist like you are supposed to and not around your knees, you wont need a hoodie that fits like a dress (see thread about gay Snowboarders).... ;) jj

and for god sakes, NO pullover hoodies. Having the option of unzipping a little to let in some fresh air is great. A pullover would eliminate that option.

But that just my opinion.

#24 · (Edited)
I use a Patagonia R1 fleece hoody under all of my shells if its nasty or cold. It has a tight hood which works well with helmets or shell hoods and if zipped all the way up pretty much becomes a balaclava. Its more of a form fitting piece that is long and has thumb holes in the sleeves. A great base or mid layer. Bonus if you find on a web special like I did!

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-r1-regulator-hoody?p=40072-0-804

#28 ·
Pockets that are deep enough so that stuff won't fall out. Sleeves that are a little overlong so the cuffs never pull. Hoods with a little extra space so they don't pull on the shoulders when you turn your head. Good zippers. If you want to get fancy, put an ipod pocket inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.