Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Your Snowboard Vehicle.

384K views 2K replies 556 participants last post by  speedjason 
G
#1 ·
New to the forums. Currently have a BMW 330xi as my vehicle to get to the mountain. See where that's a problem? More than a couple inches on the road and I am screwed..

Looking for input on what vehicles you all drive to the mountain. I have about 12k to put into this. Maybe more.

Thanks for input--

-Alex

#1,605 ·
Newly acquired 1995 AWD Astro - AKA the Adventure Time Lodge

It needs a little front end work, but I've been wanting an AWD Astro for a few years. It came with a set of studded snows & I plan on doing a little camperizing so we can use it for parking lot sleeping at the mountain.

And the trusty steed for the last few seasons, the 1999 E320 4Matic wagon - AKA The Winnebenzo (this photo was taken after driving it from Portland, OR to Puerto Penasco, Mexico last Christmas)

It has 270k on the clock & it just came home after getting its transmission replaced. It's awesome though. The backseat is plenty comfy for my 6' frame. Wiith the rear seat flat, I can lay down fully (with an inch or two to spare) . It gets about 30mpg, and it's great in the snow. The 4Matic system has a rear wheel bias, so it drives like a RWD car most of the time, but when it's needed, the extra traction is there.

#1,613 · (Edited)
I just got my wagon all ready for this season (and another 100k miles) in Tahoe. Valve job, new motor mounts, axels, hoses/piping, seals, all season tires, and of course I put the roof rack back on (which also works great for fishing poles). And don't forget about the deck and sub I recently installed... It's running 14lbs of boost (8 over stock) FMIC, AWD, winter package, Custom 3" turbo back exhaust. One of my favorite (slow) cars I have ever owned.

I honestly don't know why a lot of you guys buy NA cars when you live at high altitude. Turbos loose about 5% efficiency at altitude, NA cars loose about 30%efficiency which also means worse gas mileage. Not to mention the environmental advantages. We all want to enjoy the snow in the future!

#1,621 · (Edited)
You Europeans get all the good stuff. I have a 2005 Passat 4 MO 1.8T with a 5 speed Sedan and that is as good as it got over here in the New World. I had to hunt like mad to even find one. It is the best Audi ever and I'm so pissed off with VW because the only 4 MO Passat I can get over here now is the top of the line CC ( decent looking / no damn room ) and that is with an Automatic. No standard even offered.

You are driving my dream winter machine. Diesel, Standard, 4 MO Wagon. No one over here, not Mercedes, not BMW, not Audi, not VW offers this configuration. Not even special order. :RantExplode:

DAMN North American drivers who would rather talk on their phones, while texting and having a coffee and eating a burger, than actually driving their car.:crazy2:

I fear that I am going to have to drive my VW till she drops..... Lots of TLC going her way.........

#1,622 ·
this is why you pick and build with compatible parts. Better built and cheaper in the end.

Trust me, this is the story of my life with my Subie Baja. It's a black sheep in the Subie line up, so I have to pick parts from outbacks, WRXs, and legacys since they only made the baja from 03-06 so the parts available are close to none

#1,625 ·
After winter I'll add another car, unavailable in USA - Citroen C6. Amazing looks, amazing suspensiom and comfort. Modern days Citroen DS
I saw that online once. It looks sick, how expensive is it?
They are prety cheap, conservative europeans are a bit afraid of sth different and t depreciates a lot, good for used car buyers like me. Older one 2006ish with history will cost like bmw 5er two years older. I'd like to get 2009+ model with new 3.0 diesel 240hp, it costs two times more.

#1,634 ·
Here's my winter ride:

97 GTR Skyline. I picked it up just after our season finished, so i haven't even checked to make sure boards will fit inside. I'm pretty sure they will though. Such a fun car, stupid amounts of power:)
I actually took my longest board around to the dealerships with me! First thing I did with every veh. I was interested in, was see how well the board fit! :yahoo::cheer::embarrased1:

Priorities my man! Priorities! ;) :lol:

#1,638 ·
Replaced it with this , 2007 FJ , 6spd manual

Added a bunch of offroad skid plates , rock rails and obviously a bumper......lots of mods to go.
Good call! I just drove my 13' 6MT over Vail pass in a blizzard coming back from Moab yesterday and it was smooth sailing. Can't say the same for all the other stuck cars on the road.

Obligatory picture of my FJ at Top of the World on Saturday. My skids and sliders got a workout.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.