Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Looking for a board for my g/f

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  lo0p 
#1 ·
Hello,

My g/f went riding a few times last season and liked it and now wants a board. I really don't know much about girl boards so I was looking for some advice.

She's around 113 pounds (5'2).
I think it's pretty safe to say the board would be used exclusively to cruise groomers, I really don't see her hitting the park anytime soon.
Her first rental was a 135, which she liked and she later tried a 144 which she said felt really unwieldy. So I was thinking of getting a 140.

Since we're on the east coast, something that holds decently well on ice would be nice too.

#2 · (Edited)
I did a lot of research and then spoke to a couple people at the-house.com I wanted to spend less then $250 on just the board since I also have to buy bindings, boots, helmet. They suggested the Sierra V Spot for a great board to learn on. I bought the 147 and they gave me 5% off. I wanted black 2012 Flow Flite 2W but they didn't have them in stock. I found/bought them on another site for $135. The House Boardshop - Best Prices on Snowboards Since 1982 | SNOWBOARD GEAR SKATE SHOES SKATEBOARDS WAKEBOARDS WINDSURFING
Read all the reviews at the bottom of this site http://www.trusnow.com/Sierra-V-Spot-Snowboards.asp

#6 ·
My girlfriend is about the same height/weight and she did the same thing- rent, then want her own stuff. Last season she picked up a forum spinster chilly dog in 143cm and loves it. I just bought her an Omatic Disco in 143cm from WhiskeyMilitia for $100 and she's super stoked on it. She greatly prefers the rocker to to traditional camber burton rental boards she was using. the spinsters rocker and the discos BS tech will really help your gf from catching that edge- and from living in Virginia, I know it sucks way more to go down on ice. However, for better grip in the ice (I feel my trad camber boards grip better than my rockers) check out the Saloman Gypsy in 138cm.

#9 ·
The Pandora seemed like a good board but my g/f is having a tough time with the 80s zebra-y graphic from this year's model.
We looked for a 2011 one (awesome graphic) but no luck.

We were also considering some GNU or Roxy board for the BTX feature (I love my GNU CC). More specifically the GNU B-Street or B-Nice and the Roxy Ollie Pop although they seem to be more park oriented. Any thought on those?

#10 ·
Yeah Never summer really screwed the pooch on the pandora graphics this year. Yeah sure, looks don't matter but guess what, it does and more so with a lot of women! MY wife took a look at the new pandora. It was a really quick look.

That said, they just had a 2011 pandora 140 on ebay this past week. I was a second away from buying it.

#11 ·
The B-street would be fine for an all-mountain deck. The BTX is great, it floats well in powder, holds an edge like no other. It's soft, but it has some snap, so it isn't a total noodle.

I only prefer the Pandora because of the added dampening. I don't think the graphics are that bad - women can be so stupid sometimes. Get her some freaking stickers. Her bindings will cover half the zebra graphic anyway.

The Ollie Pop is very similar to the B-street, probably just a tad stiffer. That's actually an excellent choice for your girlfriend.

The B-nice is a good board for beginners and progressing riders, but the shortest size is a 146 I think. It's really not too long for her, but it sounds like that's longer than she's comfortable with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.