Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Seems like snowboard companies are going lean this year

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  wrathfuldeity 
#1 ·
Through talking to a few guys I know at my local shops, it seems like a lot of companies this year have leaned out their production this year and are only making the bare minimum to fill orders. I know NS has completely sold out of most of their stock, and that if your local shop hasn't ordered any Salomon Sick Sticks or Ride El Hefe bindings, you're pretty much out of luck. I know NS usually goes pretty lean on their production so the fact that they are sold out isn't surprising, but companies like Salomon and Ride selling out of some of their flagship items are. Has anyone else seen this anywhere?

Honestly, it's about time snowboard companies get a bit more lean in their production seeing how much stock is always left over in the spring. My guess is those late season bargain hunters will be out of luck come spring sales.

#6 ·
Just wanted to point out that Never Summer had all of their boards already accounted for before they even started building them.

They make a specific amount of boards each year, of which all are already accounted for.

They only sell the boards to the shops that they have an agreement with, to try and keep it based more in "local" shops rather than Dick's, REI, big box stores, etc.

#9 ·
It is a good idea. The market is obviously oversaturated. Look at all the 2010 and 2011 boards still floating around.

I've definitely seen it. My LBS had 12 Skate Bananas (awesome for PURE JIBBING) in at the beginning of this season and sold 2 or 3 in one day last week while I was hanging around shooting the shit. The owner got on the horn w/ Mervin and he's pretty much SOL because the rep told him he might be able to get him 3 or 4 more but that's it, and they wouldn't ship in till mid December earliest.

#10 ·
Burton is the worst. They bully the retailers into buying all their stock. They won't let you carry their product unless you commit to carrying a certain percentage of the lineup and a ridiculous volume. It's why so many local shops don't carry Burton. They simply can't afford to purchase the inventory required and they know they won't be able to cycle through it all.

Burton doesn't care that there's a lot of oversold stock in retailers. They got theirs.

#14 ·
I don't know about the states but here in Japan the number of boards sold has dropped steadily over the last few years.
Less and less people getting into the sport because it does take up quite a bit of cash.

Seems natural they would hold back on production a bit.

For me that means more untracked snow and no lines at the lifts(specially week days):D.

#15 ·
I like this method. Reduce supply, control your costs and stay stable. Good for competition in the market place and a sound strategy in these uncertain economic times.

And while prices will probably stay up there, I'd think that companies will have to focus on quality and innovation to keep their niche and name.

#19 ·
Originally Posted by dreampow
"I don't know about the states but here in Japan the number of boards sold has dropped steadily over the last few years.
Less and less people getting into the sport because it does take up quite a bit of cash.

Seems natural they would hold back on production a bit.

For me that means more untracked snow and no lines at the lifts(specially week days). "

I don't see how im so off topic here......you guys were talking about production of boards steadily decreasing so I stated the problem of finding NS in Europe.

#20 ·
yea its off topic bud, they are talking about how companies are only procuding enough to fill the demand and no more... how does that relate to your inability to find a company that ships boards to europe?

back on topic now....

I think its good that companies are doing this now, the whole supply and demand thing makes a little more sense to me then just producing x amount of boards and only being able to sell 3/4 of them and then scrambling giving huge deals to get rid of overstock.

I love how the point was brought up that it will raise the market for used boards too, which is true but I find it funny cuz alot of people on here would never recommend buying a used board in the first place!

#25 ·
I love how the point was brought up that it will raise the market for used boards too, which is true but I find it funny cuz alot of people on here would never recommend buying a used board in the first place!
There are a ton of good used boards and I'd recommend buying (being a cheap sob) if...you can find one available. 4 of 5 that I'm using this year are used higher ends. The problem is now finding good high-end boards that folks are getting rid of and that are still in good shape. 2-3 years ago folks were dumping them for the latest and greatest. There are tons of good condition beginner and intermediate boards that are good deals for newbs and the occasional rider.

#22 ·
Agreed. Just basic economics. Make only what you can sell. You can maintain MSRP or close as the norm. Quick turnover means less inventory costs, less space\storage requirements, better cash flow,money management, and no need for fire sales. That said, it's always seemed to me that the higher end stuff has always been limited quantities, order early and full price.

#23 ·
higher end stuff always does seem to be more tightly controlled.

Here is a story that I've heard - no idea if it is true or not - about Ferrari. Supposedly, they take pre-orders and total them all up. Say they have 1,000 people who put a deposit down and want to buy a new Ferrari next year. Then Ferrari only makes 999 new Ferraris and 1 poor bastard gets his deposit back. This way, they ensure that demand is never fully met by the supply they offer, and this keeps the retail & secondary prices high.

Interesting concept. Again, I have no idea if it's true though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.