Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

new homepage

7K views 75 replies 19 participants last post by  davidj 
#1 ·
i like it. props to whoever thought up the layout!

#64 ·
Much like the regular forum page (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php), I think you need pagination next to the listed threads on the new homepage so people can jump to a page. Example, the Bataleon 2012 Q & A thread has 15 pages thus far but if you click on the thread from the new home page you get taken to the first page every single time. That is all. Make it happen, number 1.

#65 ·
Ok, well I tried to like the new format but I don't think it makes sense to link "Snowboarding Forum - Snowboarding Enthusiast Forums" to my homepage while using the top left logo as the link to the forums. I don't know if this was intended to get extra page views and resultant ad impressions but UX was compromised imo.

I found that I just use the home page as an interstitial landing page though I prefer to go directly to the list of forum topics. And per my comment above, I get thrown to the first page of multi-page threads by default. So I bookmarked directly to the Forums page (just need to get in the habit of avoiding that "Snowboarding Forum - Snowboarding Enthusiast Forums" link).

#67 ·
I agree here - that when you are in the forum itself - if you want to go back to the forum base page, the links at the top, ie:
Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums > Snowboarding Forum Message Board > News, Updates and Suggestions > new homepage

Should link the user to the:
Forum top (not the homepage) > Message board subforum > news, updates ..

That's not what it does now.
For the homepage, the very top of the page (Snowboarding Forum logo) should be the only thing I would look for to link me back to the main site's homepage.

Other than this - cool look.

#66 ·
Here's a few of my thoughts about the site changes. While I do like the clean look of the site, it does need a graphic update as Spaz suggested. I'm not saying load it up with tons of graphics or flash animated crap, just a revamp of the colors and graphics to give it a more modern feel(Look around at some of the photoshop forums for ideas) ;).

The home page... well I don't like it much. It's kind of redundant the way it is, almost all of the info on the home page I could have got from opening the forum index. Having a featured thread and pic of the day/week is good, but rather then some twit-derrr or any other newsfeed garbage, it should have snow condition reports. A calendar??? Uhhh I usually know what day it is by the time I get here lol. The welcome/stats banner at the top is wasted space, the little box on the right with the same info is sufficient to tell me I'm logged in.

I guess if it was me admining the site, I would ditch the google ads, maybe leave the small link row at the top. Instead I would sign up for affiliate programs from online snowboard retailers, use their dynamic banners so that the sales and hot deals are displayed. I'm not sure how much the forums (or parent forums or whatever) make from google, but I bet you guys would make a couple bucks off affiliate programs, and as an added bonus the site stays 100% snowboarding (although I do find it kind of funny when I'm reading a thread about how much of an idiot Palin is and one of her ad banners pops up at the top).

And please please add a link in the main link chain at the top the goes Home>forum index and link the logo to the home page, that drives me nuts. :D Either way, I'll still continue to visit and participate here be cause it really is the best SB forum I've found. ;)

#68 ·
Affiliate programs have never done well and the ads running are all just part of a network deal. As far as getting to the forum index page the banner at the top should always take you there when you click it. The front page is a little redundant for some but it is really good for google to boost our rankings.

#69 ·
I understand. Just a bit weird for me as far as the logo going to the forum index while the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums taking me to the homepage.
Now that i realized i can use the logo - i'm fine - just not intuitive to me as i thought it would be the reverse.

#76 ·
Hey guys...

Something I brought up to the Administrator that I would like your feedback on. I also need to know from a technical standpoint from the top dog there is if this is possible.

What do you all think about the idea of making this a user customizable thing where you the user can choose what sub forums you want to watch on your home page?

I know I would really like this option to watch the the sub forums I choose such as my regional area, back country and instructors.

Weigh in on this and see if we cant get this option to fly...:thumbsup:
+1 here.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/10char

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.