Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Need some help getting a board

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  [Ian] 
G
#1 ·
Ok, so I've decided that I want to get into snowboarding more and I want to get my own equipment. Basically I'm looking for a board that can do it all, carve, take into the terrain park, maybe some half pipe, whatever. Something with a nice flex and something that will last. I'm about 157lbs. and I'm 5'9" tall but I'm still 13 so I'm still growing. I want to get a board that will last me atleast like two seasons so something that won't get too small or break is good. I also have size 11.5 feet which are still growing as well so I don't know if I need a wide board or not. I know my best bet is to go to a shop to try things out and such but I'm hoping I could get some help and suggestions here first.

Hope you can help,
Ian

#6 ·
With size 11.5 feet that are still growing, a wide board is your best bet. There are a lot of wide options out there. Check the sites for GNU, Rome, Burton, Nitro, Ride, K2 and a bunch of others for starters. They all have a few wide options that fit your needs.

I have size 12 boots and I ride a GNU 11up. It's labled as a wide freestyle board but is a pretty good allround board and handles pretty well at high speeds. It's not real flexy like a full park board. I'd recommend it based on what you said you want. However, there are a ton of other options out there so just find what you like, and what you can get a deal on.

Depending on your price range, also check out GNU CHB-wide, Rome Flag or Manual, Ride Fleetwood, Decade-wide or Dose, Burton Bullet, Royale(mid-wide) or Custom-wide, K2 After Black....

#8 ·
Ok, so I've decided that I want to get into snowboarding more...

Ok kid-o, first, read this. All of it.

I'll give you some basic info, but your gonna have to do the detailed research yourself. You are looking for an "all-mountain" freestyle board. These boards will handle anything you throw at them. However, they will not excel in any one area. You wont be able to ride the park as well, b/c the board will be too stiff for somethings. You won't be be able to bomb black diamonds at demon speed as well b/c the board will be too soft. However, you'll be able to get an OK taste of everything the mountain has to offer. Just don't expect the board to ROCK everything you throw it.

So, what you need to do is look at the web site of various manufactures, and see what they list as all-mountain boards. Again, read the link I posted above. That will give you a lot of info.

Good brands to check out:
Rome
Forum
Ride
Burton
Atomic
K2

#12 ·
When you say park riding do you mean rails and boxes, or just hitting some jumps? Also, when you mean carve down the mountain, do you mean really steep terrain and deep powder or just riding down the normal groomed runs really fast?

The way I see it, there are park boards, freestyle boards, all mountain boards, freeride boards, and then alpine/racing boards. It sounds like you are looking for either a freestyle or all mountain. You probably don't want to go with the extreme ends of the spectrum with a pure park board or pure freeride board since you want a little of everything.

#14 ·
If you are going to hit some rails and boxes, but don't want to spend the whole day in the park, your best bet is a freestyle board...just avoid anything that says it is specifically designed for the park, or jibbing. Those boards might be more flexy than you want for carving.

Some of the boards I listed earlier fit this category...GNU 11up, Ride Dose or Decade-wide (not as freestyle), K2 After Black, Burton Royale and I'd add the Rome Slash. These are a few wide or mid-wide freestyle boards that you may want to look at. Some are more freestyle focused that other...just a start.

G
#15 · (Edited)
I've been looking at the Rome slahs and boarderaholic recommended it to me as well. I talked to her and she said ti would be a good board for me. The only thing is its labled as a park board so I'm not sure if I shoudl get it.

Edit: right now i'm liking the burton royale and the ride slash. The burton looks like the board I am looking for and it's not too wide. The slash looks nice as well and not super flexy but its a lot wider than the royale. is there any way I could figure out what waist width I need?

#16 ·
is there any way I could figure out what waist width I need?
It depends on how big your boots are. Some 11.5 boots are bigger than others. You could find a board shop near by and see how your boots fit on different boards.

For the most part, with the type of riding you are probably doing right now, a mid-wide would probably be okay. Although who knows how big your feet will be next year if you are still groing :dunno:

G
#17 ·
I'm thinking I could get away with a mid wide. I'm gonna get some saloman boots as well which will probably be a size 12 when I get them since i will be getting them closer to snowboarding season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.