Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - tips for a new snowboard coach?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
sheepstealer

Default tips for a new snowboard coach?

Hi all, so I just got offered a job as a snowboard coach at my local mountain - real stoked! I managed to get into the program through a friend who also works at the resort but is involved in the skiing program.

I was curious if anyone here knew of some solid resources of tips and suggestions for a new snowboard coach. Experience wise, I have over 14 years of riding under my belt with experience competing in freestyle and boardercross. However, I do not have any formal snowboard "coaching" experience. What I do have is 6 years of working with kids ages 8 to 16 in an outdoor adventure setting - high ropes, rock climbing, extensive backpacking trips, canoeing, kayaking, you get the idea. What I'm getting at here is that I can "manage" kids and teens well, I know how to connect and am very confident in my ability to teach.

The program I am heading up is developmental in nature - I am coaching a group of 15 alongside one other coach. This team is the step below the resort's "competition" team and its our job to introduce them to bigger and better things as the season progresses i.e. boardercross, double blacks, park, pipe, etc. We were told that all of the kids know how to ride and feel "comfortable" riding blues and the occasional black diamond, but nothing beyond that. Ages are primarily 8 -12.

Like I've said, don't have much experience coaching snowboarding and was hoping a couple people on here would be able to offer any advice or suggestions? Feel free to post here or PM!

Thanks!
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote