Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Binding setup options
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Peaceryder

Default Binding setup options

Hey, so I just bought a 2011 Ride Machete 161w. A tidbit of info is that I've spent most of my snowboarding life searching for the powder out of bounds and otherwise or building a kicker and spending the afternoon hitting it up. My only board was a 162 Rozzy Nomad - which is a great board for pow considering it's technically a beginner board. I bought the Machete because I want to progress in my riding to add a freestyle element to my riding style.

My local hill doesn't have a half pipe, but I'll be visiting one or two other resorts this year that have one. Never tried it so not sure how I'll like it yet. My hill gets dumped on a lot and has the steepest/longest fall line in Canada. It's for this purpose that I'm going to suit up with the Rozzy for the big dumps, but I need a binding setup that will both allow me to ride deep powder if I need to or adventure in the park/half pipe scene. I have a relatively stiff setup right now and I ride rather aggressively, lol. Stance is currently +25/+15 as I've found that even after riding a heavy day of powder on the 2000 Rozzy, I virtually never have excessive pain compared to what I hear from some others. The stance is big with this I'm guessing.

I do intend on minimizing the aggressive stance angles when I take the Machete out this year and it will be my board for 9 out of 10 days. Likely more of a +15/-5 so I can handle switch better. I'm hoping that I can find a stellar binding/boot setup that will allow me to spend half a day in 50cm of snow and then hit up the terrain park without missing a beat. Usually more like 30cm dumps, so I'm exaggerating to get the point across, but I'd really like to not have to switch to my Nomad on the pow days, considering it's an 11 year old board/binding setup.

To clarify, my riding style will likely dictate that I spend about 75% of the time hitting steep and deep and building out of bounds kickers. The rest of the time I intend on getting down with the jibbing, butter boxes, half pipe and w/e else comes my way.

What binding setup would you all recommend given this scenario?

Do I grab a medium flex All-Mountain binding or grab a super stiff all-mountain freestyle binding? How much does having a soft binding really affect things like jumping/jibbing? Am I going to have a nightmare of a time trying to do freestyle type tricks if I don't have a freestyle or park/pipe binding?

Just to be clear, I don't go off 30 ft cliff drops, I just ride steep n deep. Need a binding that can handle this well with the Machete and hopefully be able to handle a trip through the terrain park nearer to the bottom of the mountain.

Just for some insight, I had my sights set on Ride Rodeo bindings because they seemed stiffer than many of the other freestyle oriented bindings. I really like the looks of the Ride Ful boots, but binding is more important. Just don't really know how it's going to hold up when I'm ripping down a crazy chute. Of-course the binding technology I have been using until this season was over a decade old, so maybe a loose freestyle binding is going to be even better than an all-mountain stiff setup from 1999, lol.

What bindings would you choose for my current style with my best description of future progression?

Last edited by Peaceryder; 11-25-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Peaceryder is offline   Reply With Quote