Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Sunshine mountain
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banff Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceryder View Post
Sunshine was my local hill for two years and to answer the question about powder. Most days, even in the middle of the week, any powder that came down overnight is gone within 45minutes or less if it's the wknd. Sunshine gets a lot of snow, but a lot of skiers/boarders, lol. Not to be a downer or anything, but the reality is that I spent most of my time during the second season shredding sunshine's out of bounds sights. Btw, behind the Wawa quad is a decent place to setup a kicker if that's your thing. Also a decent bowl you can hike up to if you really want fresh tracks. Sunshine may sell itself on 'sunlight' and powder, but ask locals and most will tell you sunshine sucks for powder in comparison with some others, including my new local hill, Castle Mountain. Lake Louise has more trees, so if you're searching for powder and don't mind tree skiiing, then you'll find more pow there. -Should note, I've only ridden Lake a few times, so no expert on that hill. But if the back bowls aren't open, you may just wanna not go, lol.

Maybe it was due to the fact I was there all the time, but Sunshine got really boring after the first season. Not much for steeps compared to some other resorts, but maybe some don't care about that. Even the chutes were sooooo bloody short for the time it takes to get up the lift. After boarding Kicking Horse and Castle Mountain, Sunshine falls short big time for powder/steeps.
Sunshine is a GREEEEEEEEAT hill for beginners though!

The Lake is a farther drive to, something I always considered.
Uh, Goats Eye?
Banff Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote