Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

bindings for lib tech travis rice 164

19K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  GorgeDad 
#1 ·
hey guys sorry for another thread about bindings but i have no idea what works with my 2010 lib tech trice. idk anything about bindings. i ride everything, but mostly tress and grooms but i hit the park maybe about 15% of the time. the bord isnt very flexeble at all if that helps. im wanting bindings with the strap at goes over the front of my boots. i wear size 12 but the boots are pretty light. also trying to keep it under 200, thanks
o and iv been rideing some cheap mission six bindings from big 5 for the last years with no problems about 21 days.

#2 ·
I have the Lib tech Travis Rice pro 164,5 and I ride it with Burton Cartel bindings... which seems to be most common combination for this board.
The Burton Cartels have a stiffness 7/10 on the Burton scale, but compared with other brands it seems it isn´t that stiff. A nice pairing with the board for what you use it for imo.
But it breaks the 200 barrier with a few bucks.

#3 ·
thanks, just took a look at them and they look really nice. ill be going to my local shop this week to look at some and ill for sure look at these.
on a side not how do u like the trice. i just bought this one from a guy on here for 250. i have yet to ride it or a lib tech board in general. thanks agian.

#27 ·
Say NO to Cartel

This is a common misconception. Yes, at one point in time T. Rice rode a Cartel. Travis Rice does not ride the Cartel today and he did not ride the Cartel in The Art of Flight as someone stated on this board.

Travis Rice rode the Burton Prophecy during most of that shoot - the first Burton binding equipped with the Re:Flex tech. Although you will not find this in the press - Travis Rice collaborated with Burton to develop this tech.

The Cartel is a great "go-to" middle of the road binding - but it isn't worth a penny over it's price bracket. The T. Rice 164 is stiff and aggressive - you're going to want more from your binding than what the Cartel will deliver.

My two cents..

#8 ·
#13 ·
ya bluewood is very small 2 lifts. but the pow is great and very close to my house, plus the season pass is 331 any day any time. its owned by a family that lives in my city, tri city. ya i wanna go to stevens for sure this years.

but about the bindings.

went ahead and got the cartel but not the black ones i wanted but these look good to and feel way more light and better.
$30 more.

#14 ·
I agree with DrnknZag

Cartels, Targas & SF45s should all pair well with this deck. I basically bought the Cartels because that was the set of bindings on the list that first became stocked in my local shop.. and I didn't want to miss a ride day on account of not having bindings.

#16 · (Edited)
Notwithstanding your stated desire to have a toe strap, I'll just throw in my two cents from out in left field. I ride the T. Rice Pro with Flow NXT-FSEs and its the best set-up i've ever had. If you want a stiffer Flow option, it'd be the NXT-FRX. Comfort is unparalleled and only purported shortcoming of Flows that i'd confirm is that they're a tiny bit soft heel to toe and so not optimal for Park riding - which doesn't look like an issue for you since you ride, like me, a limited amount in the park.

#19 ·
Crazy, that's my same combo and I concur (T.Rice 157 Flow NXT-FSE ) works perfectly together... I had some FRX's and they're just too stiff, sold them to a bud! I live in Clarkston WA so I'm about 1.5 hrs from Bluewood... ridden there many times but I'd rather spend a little more time driving and go to Shweitzer or Silver or especially Brundage (where I have my pass)... not saying Bluewood sucks... ;)

#18 ·
For what its worth: I did quite a bit of research, much of it here in the forum (which i'm sure you can also find with searches) and it would appear Flow pretty significantly upgraded the quality of their bindings in the last few years, particularly the higher end ones. So previous issues may not be issues any more. I ride often and pretty hard and have had no breakage (though they're not real old yet, obviously.)

#20 · (Edited)
I am rocking my T Rice with Union Forces. Good all around bulletproof binding for $200. I ride trees and steeps for the most part, not really a park rider drop small cliffs, hit wind lips, ect and have been loving the combination so far.

As far as a toe cap goes though they have a hybrid system that can be a strap or a cap. Never really rocked them as toe caps but I will go mess around with it right now and post back in a few

EDIT: Just checked it out they slide off my my 14's pretty easy (Damn my big feet) but i threw in my buddies 12's and it held really well. I could not get it to slide off like I did with my boots. Maybe someone else who rides them regularly as a toe cap can chime in.

#22 ·
I think people have a negative impression of the missions because the older versions were... not very good. I have a pair of '09 missions that are flimsy piles of crap compared to just about anything else I've ever used.

The most recent model years do seem to be a very solid binding though.

#23 ·
im not saying the missions are bad. they are prob great bindings but what i have read is that they are not the best. the cartals are alot more ligther. i will let every one know after tomorrow. which will be my first day on the slop. going to white pass any one else going up?

#25 · (Edited)
did you buy the cartels locally? If so, I would hope that the shop dudes would have explained to you what re:flex bindings are. I would imagine that the missions that you had were reg. disc bindings... so yea, there is a bunch of material that is in a reg. burton disc binding that wouldn't be in your re:flex cartels. Hence why they are lighter.

#28 ·
ok so guys went to white pass today. pretty good day for not having new snow in a while.still a great day with a good friend. but the bindings did good and the board was amazing. but my ass, feet, abs, legs, everything hurts haha. i did have one problem. the whole day it felt like my boots or my bindings where stabing me in my leg. right under my calf. it hurt alot and did not maked snowboarding fun. and now after after like 6 hours, its still red where it was hurting. i thing it was my boots being to tight but i dont know. what could it be?
heres a pic at the top of white pass, mt rainer.

#29 ·
Whats your forward lean setting? Are the high backs flush with your boots or is there a gap? If thats the case the the high backs might "keep hitting" you in the area beneath the calv muscle. or... you might have set an too agressive foward lean which keeps pressure on the same area.

I´m guessing the first option is the bad guy here though...crank the forward lean until the high backs top is snug with the backside of your boot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.