Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - New "snowboarder" from FL with a few Q's
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Barnburner

Default New "snowboarder" from FL with a few Q's

Hey guys hoping to learn a few things here. I'll give you a little history-
I might be the oldest guy to take up snowboarding from this level. Until last year, never saw snow... Went out to Breckenridge last Feb and had a blast snowboarding. I took a couple hour lesson and picked up on it very well according to the instructor. I was a college athlete, I paddleboard, water ski, ect here in FL so it was pretty easy to pick up. In a couple days I was comfortable on the blues and that's where I left off. I am coming back again in Feb and it looks like it will be an annual thing. So I bought a board off CL Ha
If memory serves me correctly I spent $130 on rentals last year, so that was What I figured in my simple mind as a heck of a deal if I could find a snowboard priced at. Snowboards pop up on CL here about as often as I can imagine surfboards popping up in CO, but I watched it for the last few months and did some research. Anyways I found a like new 154 LTD Transition with bindings for $100. Found a like new pair of healside boots that fit like a glove for $20, and then a really nice padded bag with boot/ helmet pocket for $20. They all came up in a day or so. The boots and bag seemed like a no brainer, but I know the board is not a very desirable one. In my research, it seemed to be regarded as a beginners board, which I am, so it made sense to me. I am gonna use it for 4-5 days a year, and after this year it would have paid for itself. If it lasts a few years, great. If not, maybe I'll move up or go back to renting. I just like the idea of having my own stuff for some reason....
So, question is, is this comparable, better, worse, ect than the rental boards out there. I rented a Burton Cruiser (I think 155) last year, how will this compare? My object is to get from the top to the bottom as painlessly as possible. Did I make the right decision, or should i sell it and Just rent when I come out? I doubt I'd have a hard time getting rid of it even if it's at a little loss just because there aren't a lot for sale here.
BTW does the size seem pretty right as I am 5'7" and about 190lbs? Also, getting it there isn't an issue as I don't pay baggage fees on SW or Delta due to having status with them.
Thanks for the help! Look forward to learning a lot!
Barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote