Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Is Mount Norquay really a glacier?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Peaceryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupacabraman View Post
What have you heard is true... Norquay really does suck, is small, often icy, and definitely does not get much snow (and not just compared to Sunshine, but in general). There are many towns in Canada that get this much snow, and not many ski hills that get less (300cm).
That being said, I've had more than a few amazing days there. Often when the storms move in from the NorthEast and you'll get more snow here & in the foothills than at Sunshine. They have some challenging runs, a pretty decent park, and you can hit it easy right besides town... not to mention the rad ski-out back down to the Juniper Hotel on the highway (a must do on GT Snowracers).

I'm not really sure what you mean by the Castle reference... Castle being the super sick, steep, and snowy ski hill down by Fernie. Kimberley doesn't get magnificent snow and is predominently a family resort (actually less than half of Fernie or Castle's snowfall).

I lived in Banff for 7 years and rode Norquay about 40+/- times, much less than Sunshine or Lake Louise. I'm kind of a snow-stats junkie so if you are more interested in that feel free to PM me.
Lol, GT snow racers are rad. Reminds me of the time when myself and a few buddies were using GT's to drop small cliffs.

Yeah, I don't know about kimberley; just here-say. In looking at vids on youtube and pictures, kimberley's snow always looked silky smoothe. Of-course even Norquay gets dumped on from time to time, so it's a mere guess on my part. Plus, it's BC, which I would say gets better snow.. Revvy, Kicking Horse and Fernie would be three places. Haven't ridden anything else in BC. Panorama is supposed to be good..

I was debating the Norquay pass to a large degree because I heard they had one of the better parks in Canada and the adding of the airbag makes a beginning freestyle riders progression leap forward. Coming from Canmore I may just want to head all the way to SV. We'll see.