Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Is Mount Norquay really a glacier?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
sdbadd

Norquay definitely gets their ice-field rep because it is mostly man made snow, except for the North American chair which is all natural snow. I've been snowboarding here for 20+ years (back when snowboards were not allowed on the Big Chair - now called North American). My dad is a volunteer ski patrol here since I was a kid, so I get to board here free - the only reason I still come here once in awhile, although the park is quite good. In my opinion, Norquay is not icy, however they do get a fair bit of hardpack. Nakiska is more icy in my opinion.

The reason Norquay sucks is it's so small and half their runs are identical to each other. Its the one hill that you'll spend more time on the lift than on the hill. They do have some decent runs and even some decent bowls that you need to hike to when the snow is good, but very short and usually not worth the hike. On the plus side, their lodge is quite nice, the park is good and its great for family skiing. Next year when my boy is old enough, I'll be taking him here to learn to ski/board. I believe it's one of the only places you can lift tickets by the hour.
sdbadd is offline   Reply With Quote