Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Bataleon 2012 Q & A

199K views 752 replies 138 participants last post by  Robisten8 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Back from SIA in Denver and just visited a long and winding thread here full of questions about 2012 Bataleon.

I spent a bunch of time with Bataleon guys and will be happy to answer any Q's abot the upcoming line.

As an up front, Bataleon had a breakthrough year in 2011 and is going to explode in 2012. TBT has come of age! On a graphics front, the boards look insane (way better even than the pictures I am seeing). A new pressing process allows the TBT to show through the topsheet. This is not a performance thing, but it does help riders to visualize the tech.

The Evil Twin SE and the Women's FeelBetter (yeaaahh!) look ill.

STOKED!!!!!

#613 ·
Japan Boarder

WiredSport,

Suggestion Please!

6ft, 182lbs, Size 9.5 Boot,
I don't care about park,
I just love tackling tough runs and picking my own lines wherever I can find powder. I'm looking for a board for some of the excellent powder days we get here in Japan. I own a 161 Goliath+Rome Targa that I have one season on and it has treated me well so far.

I was looking at purchasing the Bataleon Undisputed.

1. How much of an upgrade would this board be for my preferred riding style over the Goliath?
2. Will the Rome Targas be alright?
3. If I have no clue, please steer me in the right direction :D.
4. Will you stock the undisputed, and do you offer Military discounts?

Thanks, Sick thread you got going here!

#615 ·
WiredSport,

Suggestion Please!

6ft, 182lbs, Size 9.5 Boot,
I don't care about park,
I just love tackling tough runs and picking my own lines wherever I can find powder. I'm looking for a board for some of the excellent powder days we get here in Japan. I own a 161 Goliath+Rome Targa that I have one season on and it has treated me well so far.

I was looking at purchasing the Bataleon Undisputed.

1. How much of an upgrade would this board be for my preferred riding style over the Goliath?
2. Will the Rome Targas be alright?
3. If I have no clue, please steer me in the right direction :D.
4. Will you stock the undisputed, and do you offer Military discounts?

Thanks, Sick thread you got going here!
I would actually suggest the Omni 164 for you. The Undisputed is a rad board but it is definitely a stiffer ride. If you were more focused on laying down the meanest carves then the Undisputed, but for Japan Powder you will love the Omni.

Targas will be a solid match.

No miltary discount but we do sell at Lowest Manufacturer allowed pricing every day, all season. We will also beat anyone's price if you do happen to find some rascally retailer who is not respecting MAP. :)

#614 ·
I've been riding an undisputed with targas, pretty exclusively, since 2008 - Epic combo. Eventually, I just pushed everything to the back most inserts and rode everything from 5 foot deep pow to all mtn groomers and everything in between without a glitch. It could be the ultimate all mtn board (the omni is very similar).

Just recently, I dropped the targas for cartels, mainly because I got the cartels practically free, but also because Targas are 10 oz heavier and not nearly as damp.

The 2012 undisputed has "back seat" inserts which may be a problem considering they actually just moved the last 2 back one notch...meaning the second to last stance has completely disappeared (that was the "sweet spot" on the 163 cm, as far as I'm concerned).

Another possible issue (for me) is they switched from a medium coarse base grind to a fine grind. I ride the "wetter" powder of Tahoe and the medium was working very well.

#616 ·
Hey there,

I was just looking for some suggestions on a good board for myself. 5'6, 145 lbs, men's size 8 boot. I am currently riding a 148 Lobster Jib....love that board. Previously rode a 154 Lib Tech Banana....fun but didn't like the instability at higher speeds and the wash out on landings. I ride in Tahoe and would like to have something that can handle the pow when it is here, good for the park as well, love the softness of the Lobster and the pop I get on it in comparison to the banana. Rode my friends 2012 ET 152......didn't ride long enough to be sold on it.....any other suggestions?

#620 ·
OK All:

So I pulled the switch and just picked up a 2012 Evil Twin 157....now tring to decide on another board to round out the quiver.

I am hoping the 157 ET will give me the flexibility to ride some pow and play all around the mountain, while learning in the park as well. Looking to add another deck that can handle all mountain, courdory and maybe act a little stiffer with a completely different feel than the ET.

I have an opportunity to add a 2011 Capita Mid-Life but have also thought about the Ultrafear....These decks are rated about 5.5/6 out of 10 for stiffness but was wondering if anyone has compared them to the ET.

The reviews of the ET are really confusing since some say the board is med/stiff yet their flex is 3/4 or other scales (reverse numbering)..which would suggest it is a little softer than the reviews claim. I have also heard the new ET is a little softer than years past....

So stoked on the ET and can't wait for it to arrive....

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

#621 ·
Just got my 157W Goliath today. Very excited for some snow now. Big thanks to Wiredsport with the sizing assistance. I've got just about a perfect +1cm of foot over hang off each side of the board. It's a lot wider than the board I was using last season, but hopefully it won't be to weird of a transition.

Thanks again, :thumbsup:
Sean

#624 ·
Whats up WiredSports,

I'm looking to get a Bataleon and see what all the hype is about. I am looking for an all mountain that excels in pow.
I'm not really a huge park rider, I would rather just hit a few natural jumps/cliffs on the way down. I also have some other park boards incase I decide to. I am thinking of getting a little longer board to float a bit more on the pow.

180lbs
5'7"
9.5 boot
:cheeky4:

Let me know what you think, I'm open to all suggestions

#630 ·
hi everyone, hi wiredsports,

now that the ET has a sintered base, bataleon finally offer what i've been waiting for four years. at least i hope so, as i didn't have the chance to test this years boards. yet i'm not quite sure about what size i should get. i'm 5'11", about 150 lbs, size 9 boot. while i'd like to have a soft board for buttering/playing around all over the mountain i should still be able to ride medium and large kickers. for more aggressive riding, really huge kickers or pow i'll be using my yes limited edition 156.5. now i'm stuck between the 154 and the 152 evil twin... ;) what would you suggest?

thanks a lot!

#632 ·
Hi guys,

I'm after some recommendations for some bindings to go with my new purchase, last seasons Evil Twin.

I've mostly just cruised the pistes up till now, but I want to start learning flat land tricks, spins, kickers etc, but will still be doing a lot of cruising.

So far I've got a list of;

Burton Cartels (too stiff?)
Flux RK30 (too soft for a lot of cruising?)
Flux TT30
Union Force

You're opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

#636 ·
I'm using Rome Targas, swapping them between my Jam and my Airobic. They're ideal in theory for both as they are multi adjustable. I use them set to the softest with the Airobic for park and plan to use the stiffest with the Jam for piste charging. They won't get tested properly on piste for a couple of months but they hold up well on indoor snow.

#637 ·
Hi
I've read many of your posts and appreciate the advice you always give. Admittedly I'm new to the Bataleon line, however really stoked on the tech and board profiles. I'm hoping you can lend some of your advice on which deck to check out.

I currently rock a RIDE DH2.5 (156)(similar twin hybrid profile as their 2012 DH2). It's a stiff board that is very stable and forgiving. In my quiver is also a NeverSummer SL (155). I have since mainly used the Ride at the end of last season and beginning of this season. I love both decks.

I ride all mountain mainly on groomers, trees, and steeps. I like to ride at speed and will hit natural jumps where I can. I don't really venture into the parks other than to hit some jumps here and there (not monster ones). I'm not into jibbing or rails (honestly because I stink at those...haha). My riding is mostly So*Cal so hard packed, some freshies etc. I do hit good POW every so often in Colorado or SLC each season (but not often).

I'm looking for a deck that is stable at speed (ie especially on groomers with chop and crud) HOWEVER forgiving. I'm worried about too soft of decks as they tend to chatter a lot. I also don't like the very surfy or squirly feeling as I couldn't get quite used to it. I had a Skate banana from libtech at 152 and couldn't get used to it at fast speeds.

Should I perhaps look at the Jam or Omni? What is the main difference on how those two ride?

I'm open ears for any suggestions.

I'm also 5'7" and 165-170lbs. I use a 9 or 9.5 boot (depending on mfg).

#639 ·
Recommendation please

Hi,

43yrs old, 130lbs, intermediate rider, 7.5boot
-riding Mid Atlantic, USA(WV,VA) hardpack, ice, manmade snow.
-just like cruising, like to turn. Want fast turning, edge to edge.
-no park/pipe

Just wondering your suggestions. I'm currently on a k2 151 Believer with the flat base. I like the flat base stability on flats, but am finding turn to turn harder to initiate, and blowing out heelside turns. Not sure if it is too long for me too.

Thanks

#640 ·
Hi,

43yrs old, 130lbs, intermediate rider, 7.5boot
-riding Mid Atlantic, USA(WV,VA) hardpack, ice, manmade snow.
-just like cruising, like to turn. Want fast turning, edge to edge.
-no park/pipe

Just wondering your suggestions. I'm currently on a k2 151 Believer with the flat base. I like the flat base stability on flats, but am finding turn to turn harder to initiate, and blowing out heelside turns. Not sure if it is too long for me too.

Thanks
Camber is still king in edge toe edge performance. It gives you that litlle bit of spring and pop that is missing in other designs. The Goliath 153 will be a great choice for your specs.

#642 ·
5'8" 150-155lbs I want to buy a bataleon whatever.

153 or 156? Your thoughts. I like cruising groomers, no bombing for me, and doing flat land stuff and jumps (180s), with the occasional box here and there. My everyday board is a gnu carbon credit (mostly due to lack of snow).

@I need a name - Contact Pros are awesome, can I throw in Malavitas($$$) and Cobrasharks($) as well the asym strap makes ground tricks feel great.

#644 ·
Hey whats up everyone, I'm looking into getting a disaster for a full out jib board and i was just wondering if i should get the 148 or 151? Im about 6 feet tall, 120 lbs, and my boot size is a mens 10. Im currently riding a 2012 Funkink 154 and it works perfect for an all mountain board, but im thinking of the disaster for spring time shredding and on days when i ride parks laps all day long.

Thank you

#647 ·
I have a Goliath 161W from 2009. How much has really changed since then as far as technology? I was looking at picking up another Goliath but I don't know how much has changed since then.

Thanks
The newer decks (reshaped this year) have less contact length in any given size. You would need to go longer to get the same contact length. What is your weight and foot size?

#651 ·
Hello, a Dutch boarder here. I know we don't have mountains but within a few hours of driving there's plenty of fun to be found :)

I have a question about the Bataleon the Jam, I'm looking to buy one this year. Currently I have a Golliath 157 from 2007. This was my first board and I reaaly like it. With this one I progressed a lot in the years. But it's getting old, so time for a new one. I can go for an other Golliath because I like my old one but I think the new one is more freestyle/park oriented?
I think the Jam is taking it to the next level for me, a bit stiffer, a bit faster but still alround.

I'm in doubt about the length of the board I should take. I can get a really good deal on a 162 Jam but perhaps this one is way to big for me?

Me:
- 1,80 m long (5'11" ?)
- 85 kg (187 lbs)
- Bootsize 44 (10,5 us)

So what will be a good length for me, will the 162 work. And how about my bootsize. I don't think I will get drag but perhaps the board is to wide?

Thanks!

#653 · (Edited)
Hello Guys,
I am currently looking for a bataleon board. But I'm not sure what board/size will be good for me. I could get a really good price for the Goliath 160w, the Whatever 158w or the ET 156w. I would mostly ride in Austria (EU) allmountain, groomers and park, almost no powder. I just can't decide which one to get.

Height: 6'2 foot
Weight: 165lbs
Boot: 12 US

#655 ·
Hello Guys,
I am currently looking for a bataleon board. But I'm not sure what board/size will be good for me. I could get a really good price for the Goliath 160w/157w, the Whatever 158w or the ET 156w. I would mostly ride in Austria (EU) allmountain, groomers and park, almost no powder. I just can't decide which one I should get.

Height: 6'2ft
Weight: 165lbs
Boot: 12 US
Nobody? :(
I'd really appreciate an answer. My local shop has a special offer until the 15th of February to get 30% off every of the mentioned boards. Therefore, I am a litte bit in hurry.
Thanks in advance.

#654 ·
Back again. Ended up not getting a Goliath last season as I still hadn't found boots.

Just sorted my boots, tried on loads of different pairs and ended up with some US12 Nike Vapens. Still set on getting a Goliath though, but assuming I'm going to need a wide?
So US12 Vapens + Cartels, 155lbs, 6' 2". Goliath 157W?

#656 ·
those are all perfectly good boards for your weight and foot size. Basically, I'd probably go with the larger board if I was going to ride more all mtn than park and I'd go smaller board if I was only going to spin around in the park and on groomers. You can fine tune from that depending on each board's actual specs/strengths

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.