Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#1,329 ·
Alright guys, I really don't want to think negative, but this forecast for our weekend won't budge. The temps this week are in the high 30's with rain Wed and Thurs. This could very well destroy the snow coverage at Crystal.

We have to make a call. I know some of you got tickets already, but is rain-checking an option? Tough on me too as I set aside time for this in the schedule with the wife.

If this weather doesn't budge, I only expect a few runs open at Crystal and definitely no trees. Let me know ASAP how everyone feels about the situation. Ron is calling Jeff about possible rain-check on our lodging.

#1,333 ·
We went to Nubs for opening weekend....They had 4 runs open on Saturday and 6 on Sunday. First time out on the new board and by sunday I was hitting the black. Going to try to get out down state if it will stay cold. Looks like they were close to having the orange lift open as well. Heading back up for 5 days around new years. Going to try to get out down state if it will stay cold.

#1,355 ·
I was at Mt. Holly both Saturday and Sunday (AM session on Sunday). Agree that Saturday was pretty hard packed. Sunday was better -- snow softened up mid afternoon. I was surprised how uncrowded it was on Sunday, compared to Saturday. They did finally open the express quad sometime late in the day, around 3:30 or so, I think.

#1,335 ·
So back to the Crystal Meet...

What's everyone's thoughts on doing a rain-check? I'll be surprised if you can't get your tickets refunded. We have to weigh the pros vs cons. We are dumping time and money into this thing. Gas included for the long drive most of us have. This might end up being a meet up for light snowboarding and mainly partying. Which we can do in town by the way.

#1,340 ·
Did you buy tickets already? They should have been way cheaper than that.

Did you guys go through Liftopia? Might want to contact them. Ask about it on Crystal's Facebook too. Don't cancel just yet though.

And you will definitely get your money back from me. It's just marinating in my PayPal. I'm fishing for an answer today because I need to get it deposited into my bank and then withdraw the cash. That takes a few days. Otherwise, I can just Paypal you guys back the dough.

#1,352 ·
Well, then we march on as planned.

Sorry, I am always the downer. I have to be this time because I'm in charge of the money. The last thing I want is regrets. So it's settled, if all else fails, we party together and still make it an awesome weekend.

Also, we will have banshee bungees :)

@Dave, I wasn't saying the rain alone would mess up the conditions. The warm weather is my concern then the rain to top it all off like a Sunday morning hooker asking you for breakfast and coffee.

#1,353 ·
Also, we will have banshee bungees :)
Do we have a rail/box/etc.?

@Dave, I wasn't saying the rain alone would mess up the conditions. The warm weather is my concern then the rain to top it all off like a Sunday morning hooker asking you for breakfast and coffee.
Hand her a $5 and point her to Denny's down the street.

#1,357 ·
40 degrees this morning with rain in the forecast, snow all week but the highs will stay above freezing until Friday.

This displeases me ಠ_ಠ

#1,358 ·
Ron is thinking of dropping out. I'm sure others will as well. We can still get the big cabin for our forum group.

My stoke has officially taken a hit. 100% chance of up to a quarter inch of rain on Wednesday with 30% chance continuing to Thurs.

Friday is looking horrible. Sat looks good, but not sure how much will be open.

#1,363 ·
LOL idk where my phone is at the moment probably in my coat or something. i went with cutesy small logo because i thought the other was too big. just personal preference that's all.

I do not plan on bringing Patron. I will grab a sixer of good beer at the liquor store down the street from CM, and I'm hoping that Crystal has the Christmas Ale from Jolly Pumpkin brewery on tap.

#1,369 ·
UPDATED PAYMENT LIST
Leo - $50

Ron - $50

David Z - $50

Jesse - $50

Sabatoa (Sam) & Lori - $100

Garrett - $30 -- Will pay balance on Sat.

Brad (David's friend) - $30 -- $20 Due

Lane (co-worker) - $30 -- $20 Due

Jay - $30 -- $20 Due, he's riding with me Fri

Ken - $50

People who don't use PayPal because they are noobs

Jenna

Shella (Ken's girl, close friend of mine)

Anyone that PayPals feel free to pay up suckas! I'll be withdrawing the dough within the next couple of days.

#1,374 ·
Good news looks like Crystal got less than 1/4" of rain today and it is tapering off. Only a trace amount of precipitation in the forecast for tomorrow. Looks like they will be able to blow snow overnight Thursday into Friday morning.

Expect rumbly corduroy, hardpacked to icy midwest groomers with hopefully a small amount of "fresh" man-made snow.

#1,378 ·
looks like PK's base has taken a pretty good hit (by looking at their webcam). patches of dirt poking through the main run underneath the lodge chairlift. "the wall" is completely brown again. on a better note...just realized holly is doing a college special this season. starting in january, $27 lift tickets on wednesday nights. glad i saved my college id! tho still not as good of a bargain as the ski free/shell gas deal.