Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Wolf Creek Pass 12-11-2011
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Default Wolf Creek Pass 12-11-2011

I fished for partners on Facebook and other sources, but no one was down for a weekend in South Fork to ride Wolf Creek Pass. One of my frequent partners was free on Sunday, so we went for a day trip. 10hrs round trip door to door, with a 3:30am departure from my house. It was worth it.

We got to the pass just after 9am, spent about two hours skinning into this area. oneshot, we could have used a sled assist on this one.

Our decent went through the thick trees near the middle of the pic. This is the same area that a friend of mine got caught in an avalanche several years ago. I hadn't been back since. The snow was pretty stable, but needless to say I was nervous. The run is steep, hovering around 40 degrees most of the time. I'd say the average pitch is just right past that avalanche magic bullet 38 degree mark. Most slope readings we took were around 39 degrees. Surface hoar was present everywhere, nice big crystals. So with all the new storm activity getting started, I imagine it's going to be a good while before I'm willing to try another line back there. Maybe in the spring.

Overall I rode through this fairly conservatively, considering the cliffs, not very familiar with the area, and the previous experience.

The skin out is murder. Nothing but slopes around 40 degrees to skin up, at about 800-900 vertical a pop. Lot's of switchbacks. My legs were jello afterwards, but what a great day.

Fuck me, youtube pulling my vid cause of my music? Will try to re add later.

Looks like it works with Red Hot Chili Peppers but not Beastie Boys. WTF? Anyway, enjoy.

Last edited by killclimbz; 12-13-2011 at 05:19 PM.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote