Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Help sorting through the tech
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
sedition
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

(on the above post)

Like what already said, your pretty on-point with almost all of it. There is one thing I will take a little issue with though, and that is board size. Don't assume becuase you weigh 200 that you need a 160-164cm deck. Boards are designed to flex/perform within certain weight ranges. They vary from one compnay to the next, and can be all over the place. For instance, the K2 WWW (a pure freetsyle deck) lists that someone up to 200lbs can ride a 153cm! Never Summer has stated that any of their boards can handle any weight. Meanwhile, if you look at Burton specs, you won't see any board under 155 that is listed for anyone over 160lbs-ish. Also, a shorter board will more agile, which is good when your learning. So, just be mindful of that when looking at your different options.

As to your specific question about the K2 Illusion, I don't know much about that deck, so I can't answer that one. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I have will be able to...

Oh, Never Summer decks tend to run on the stiff side. Stiffer boards are usually considered a little more "advanced" than softer decks. This is not to say a new rider could not handle a stiff board, just that it will take them a bit longer to get the hang of it. So, if your really looking at Never Summer boards, I'd say lean towards the "softer" ones they make. They do make great stuff, and 3-year warranty! No one else in the industry does that.

And here are three helpful links:
SnowBoard Reviews - "Where The Riders Write The Reviews"
The Snowboard Buying Guide at CJU.com
Everything about snowboard stance

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

Last edited by sedition; 03-28-2008 at 10:41 AM.
sedition is offline   Reply With Quote