Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#1,379 ·
Yeah I bet everyone down here took a beating the last few days it's been way too warm to blow and also too warm to do any real grooming o maintain the base. Once it cools off they'll be able to push it around again. The wall was pretty brown on Sunday, although there were a few people "riding" it, it was basically just dirt/grass with a dusting of snow over it.

Shell deal starts up again on January 4 :D

#1,384 ·
Has anybody been to Nubs Nob in the past few days? Can you give a fuller picture of conditions than their web site, which list 10 trails open and temperatures good for snowmaking? (I see an inch or two is in the forecast for the weekend.)

I had plans to go to Vermont for the whole week before Christmas with my older son, but Sugarbush, where we usually go, still only has a single way down the mountain. So I was thinking of taking a quick north and ride Nubs on Monday - Wednesday.

@Shell deal

Grrr! Discrimination against those with small cars and small gas tanks! I had a conversation about this last March with a coworker who rides. He couldn't believe that I never buy 10 gallons of gas, so I've been keeping track for the past 8 months, and I've bought over 10 gallons exactly 1 time. I'm guessing my tank's about 12 gallons, but my daily round trip to/from work is 88 miles, so I never let my tank get that low.

#1,385 ·
Definitely had the worst hangover ever today but damn that was a kickass weekend. Awesome meeting you guys Garret, Jesse, Dave, Jay and Leo. Too bad we didn't get a group shot before we took off.

Now I shall soak and get rubbed down for the next 6 days so I can get out there again on Christmas day. :thumbsup:

Hopefully we can get out again soon, even if somewhere down here.

#1,387 ·
Definitely had the worst hangover ever today
Hahah! Brad was an absolute wreck today. I had to pull over on the side of the road to let him purge the hangover...

Hopefully we can get out again soon, even if somewhere down here.
We should definitely set up another one of these if we can!

#1,389 ·
great time guys!! thanks for all the organizing leo and dave. great time with the Marhar crew too! now we get to pay holiday pricing at holly and pk from now thru the new year. all i gotta say is thats bullshyt. $40 for a couple of sorry runs is robbery. pk still shows all of their parks closed too. this will def influence how much i go (or don't go) in the next 2 weeks. how can they get away with this crap :mad:

#1,402 ·
#1,414 · (Edited)
#1,816 ·
One of the tallest (if not the tallest) peaks at almost 2k feet - not too shabby for flat ass michigan.
I'm about an hour from those mountains. I've driven that 28/41 stretch a dozen times now and always questioned why it didn't follow the lake.

Do you have more information on where to ride in that area? I have access to snowmobiles, and I've been dieing to see some backcountry.

#1,418 ·
anyone interested in checking out Misfit Lab in the next couple of weeks? i'd like to go check it out. i'm also looking at heading to Cannonsburg in the near future. their park setup looks legit, or at least it will when we get some damn snow. i gotta give em credit tho-they were open with tow rope only earlier this week-$12 tow ticket. too bad the places around here wouldn't make the same effort instead of charging full price for a lift ticket when i'm gunna spend 90% of my time in the park. also gotta say that cannonsburgs website is really impressive. lots of info on their park setups and features. i mean c'mon, holly and pk haven't updated their website since 1990. still waiting for holly or pk to decide if they're gunna open up today.