Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - K2 Clickers
Thread: K2 Clickers
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1512 View Post
I am trying to find out if there is any interest left for people who would buy new clicker bindings i.e. Magma or Plasma. I for one love the system and have contacted K2 with the possibility of acquiring the rights to manufacture the clicker system. Furthermore, I am in the process of contacting Shimano in order to make the Skylord boots again.
I loved them back in the day (had Clicker and Clicker HB for several years)... but the world has moved on - proprietary step-in system aren't sold anymore because not enough people were not buying them. The main problem is that you should have at least a dozen different boot model that fit a variety of foot types.

I'm guessing the licensing fees would on a per unit basis, so that's not too bad. I'm not a manufacturing guy... but I'm pretty sure they tosses the molds and I've heard those things cost tens of thousands of dollars. You could CNC the binding parts like Catek or Bomber but then the binding would be in the $300 range (where finding old ones would be much cheaper since that only thing that really wears out is that little spring). Same thing for the boots (the molds are probably long gone and those boots are terrible compared to what is available today), Skylord were good back in the day... but that is dinosaur boot design 15 years later.

But if you think you can do it... go for it, I support intiative and entrepreneurship. Despite the fact that half of all small businesses are dead after five years, it's the ones that stay alive that keep our economy going.
You could post your business idea on Kickstarter.com for funding (if you family/friends aren't going to help you out).

Last edited by lonerider; 12-20-2011 at 05:35 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote