Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - K2 Clickers
Thread: K2 Clickers
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1512 View Post
Thanks for the input, never had a spring go out like you mentioned. I do not believe the system is a dinosaur and I feel there is still demand for the system. As an owner of an Aerospace company I fully understand manufacturing assembly and distribution. I am trying to determine how many could be sold globally per year. Letís say 4,500 a year at $300.00. Comes to $1,350,000.00 in possible revenue with a gross profit potential of around 20%. This forum is just one avenue to find out if the demand still exists. I would find it hard to believe that I am only one who would still buy the clicker.
I didn't say the binding system is "a dinosaur" I said the Skylord boot design was a dinosaur.

I think 4,500 a year is overly optimistic. First you have to convince people to buy a binding AND a boot together... or limit yourself to people who used the original system (the over-30 year old market is a lot smaller than the under-30 market). Then you might have competition from the hardboot/plate binding market (where a lot of people who used K2 Clicker went after their boots wore out).

Ontop of that $300 is a lot... considering you can still buy used clicker bindings for as low as $20 on Ebay.

Bomber Industries and Catek have a very well developed standard/step-in plate binding customer base over the past 2 decades and I don't think they have ever surpassed 5000 binding sold per year combined (that's a guess... you should contact Fin Doyle and Jeff Caron to make sure, I'm sure they would love to help out a fellow small business owner).... then consider the fact that the bindings are so durable (sounds like your pair last over a decade)... so you will soon run out of new customers. Maybe you will be able to recoup you initial overheads... but I'm doubtful.

But maybe I'm just a person who "just doesn't get it," be like Steve Jobs and prove me wrong!

Last edited by lonerider; 12-20-2011 at 07:16 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote