Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - My second season and I'm back!! Question on toeside turns
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
fayewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
1.It sounds like you are rushing your edge transition. If you changes edges before your weight transfers over to the other edge, you can kind of get "stuck" with your board still turning, but your upper body is still lagging (and when your body is counter-rotated or twisted, it is hard to do much of anything until you untwist it). Try focusing on going from toeside to flatboard (for just a moment), and then to heelside to make the edge transition smoother.

2. One way to slow it down is to go completely perpendicular to the fall line (across the hill). That way when you finish your turn, you aren't picking up anymore speed because you are not going downhill (this give you a little breather before doing your next turn). Here is video of my wife doing big S-turns down a decently steep slope (this was early in her third season of snowboarding). You can see because she starts and ends her turn coming across the fall line - she really isn't pick up a lot of speed despite the steeper pitch of the slope. When doing this... it is IMPORTANT to LOOK UPHILL with your peripheral vision... because some people might not be paying attention and plow into you. You can see my wife keeps her head pointing in the direction she is travelling (not always pointing downhill) so she can see uphill out of the corner of her eye.

To slow it down ever more you can do garlands. Check out the video below

If you feel in control of your speed, you will feel much more confidant. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the video!!! Love how your wife rides!!! So smooth and calm!! Thats essentially what I'm doing, but I don't have alot of space to go all the way across the slope, so while doing that, I ended up skidding/ side slipping down until the speed is slow enough for me to initiate the toe side turn!
fayewolf is offline   Reply With Quote