Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Boarding with a Herniated Disc
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
NYinfamous2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
I have 2 herniated disks. I just barely started snowboarding. I haven't had any problems yet. I mainly do a lot of distance road biking and it's got you in this hunched over position which is killer on the back. I've had days where the disks pinch nerves in my legs and shooting pain to where I can't walk. I've had to roll out of bed and crawl using my arms to pull myself to the bathroom, push myself on to the toilet just to take a leak. There are also times where I have to sleep in a sitting position because lying down hurts too much. By far the best thing that's helped me manage my back pain is working out. Get your abs nice and strong. If you do back extensions you might want reconsider not doing them. My brother, who's a certified personal trainer, and my chiro both recommended that I don't do back extensions. I've also had to stop doing squats, which is something I really like. As soon as that weight is on my shoulders I can feel it in my back. I also try to maintain a very health weight. When my weight goes up a few pounds I will start feeling it in my back.
OH man I can totally relate to all of those situations. when I originally hurt my back I was literally stuck in a crouched position for a week. fun stuff. NA I never do squats lol I did do back extensions when in physical therapy for the past 3 months but my cheap ass ins cut me off so no more of those either. I mainly do stretches and some abs and core training. havent even hit the gym in months. I hear you theres a long list of things that I know to avoid now because I know I will feel it in my back. Sux getting old doesnt it.
NYinfamous2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote