Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Never Summer SL...not as fun as my Slayblade
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Nolefan2011

I'll back you up Geo. I have demoed a lot of stuff. A LOT. I could offer a lot better options than the SL. The SL failed for me. The Evo and Heritage were much better in their respective categories.

I doubt I ever own a Never Summer. Just seems to me, if you are avoiding the one board quiver option, there are boards that are better in each category.

The SL is a damp, I thought stable board (I have ridden a lot of RC type boards). However, it is so plank like, that it just doesn't have the fun and snap of other boards in their category. Plain and simple, unless you are a beginner, ride the SL and then ride the Coda from Arbor. Tell me which board you liked better without lying. I think newer riders love the SL because it is definitely more damp and stable at speed than the Coda. But the Coda has way more response edge to edge, the grip tech is better edge technology, and the snap and pop is on another planet compared to the SL. But for a beginner to advanced beginner borderlining on intermediate, I get it. For good enough riders, the little extra chatter at speed doesn't bother you.

Prime example, I own a Capita Ultrafear. I read the reviews. People said it lacked some stability at speed. I can b line the mountain and the little extra chatter vs the Evo isn't enough to make me switch to an Evo for a less responsive deck.

If you want a quiver killer, the SL is great. Damp and stable to make ANYONE comfortable bombing. But if you are willing to buy a couple boards, get something that is excellent in certain categories, and weaker in other categories, and become a better rider so that issues of dampness and stability mean less to you because that little extra chatter when bombing no longer scares you.

Even as a one board quiver killer, I can think of boards right now that are better than the SL. The Arbor Coda, the Lib Tech TRS, the Forum Double Dog Destroyer (fun board, little dampness, and edge hold is weaker, but the snap and responsiveness are worth it if you can ride well), K2 Turbo Dream, Ride Machete, the list goes on.....
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote