Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Review: 2012 Never Summer Proto CT

272K views 919 replies 187 participants last post by  dreampow 
#1 · (Edited)
Review part 2 here with David's take on the board as well:

aGNARchy Proto CT Review

Introduction

For the past two years, I've slowly been getting sucked into the Never Summer hype around these forums. I wondered, "Can a line of boards really be that good?". Well, earlier last month, I was presented an opportunity of a snowboarding lifetime. Vince and Tracey from Never Summer contacted me and offered me a position in their online design team. What does that entail exactly? Well, they wanted my input on their products present and future. If I have any ideas/input regarding all aspects of their boards, then I am more than welcome to provide them. What's the catch? I have to ride and review a board of my choice. I chose the Proto CT because the tech specs sounded to be a perfect compliment to my riding style.

So you might be wondering what I thought about the board now. Well, I am a little angry at snowboardingforum to be honest. All that hype... all that talk... for what? A board that did not meet my expectations... THE NEVER SUMMER PROTO CT EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS. So why the anger? Because now I have to add another brand of boards to my want list. Now I want to ride them all! Thanks guys. This is not a good thing for a gear whore like me.

So here it is, my initial review of the excellent 2012 Never Summer Proto CT 157:

Setup
Board: 2012 Never Summer Proto CT 157
Bindings: 2011 Rome 390 Boss L/XL
Boots: 2011 Burton Restricted Hail 9.5 US
Stance: +18/-12 Regular @ 23.5"

I am 5'9, 180lbs.

Handling
The Proto CT really shines in this department. The snow conditions was as good as it gets for Michigan at a generous 10-12". The Proto absolutely loves the snow. It held a solid edge when initiating carves and was more than easy to engage the sidecut. I did a series of short to medium to long carves and it was superbly stable and smooth. The Proto rode like a 160ish board, but handled like a 155ish. I attribute these characteristics to the longer effective edge and light weight (the blunted tips reduce the swing weight as well).

As the day progressed, the good snow had been pushed off to the side leaving the hardpack exposed. The Proto didn't have a single problem eating through it all. In fact, I felt so confident on this board, that I still rode aggressively even though there was crazy wind gusts with snow that made it hard to see. Of course, I didn't mach down the run in fear of hitting another rider, but I sure was carving it up on terrain I could barely see.

I didn't take the Proto into park jumps yet, but I definitely will soon. I was hitting some pow build ups though and it was super stable on those little jumps. On one occasion, I leaned forward too much and was sure I was going to eat snow. Much to my joy, I was able to ride it out. Come on, I got away with landing on my nose. That's pretty good. Not sure if this will be the case on an actual kicker, but I'll take it.

The only cons I could find about the handling is the edge to edge quickness and speed. It wasn't quite as fast as other boards I ride. This is because the board's width is a little wider than what I normally ride. The Proto CT 157 has a waist width of 25.3". My other boards are under 25". But to be honest, that is nitpicking and someone with even a size 10 boot won't likely have this problem. As for the speed, I found it to be a bit slower than my other rides. However, this is on factory wax and I will surely have to see how it rides after I personally wax it.

Pop
Very satisfying. One of the more poppy boards out there. Load up on either the nose or tail and off you go. I was having a ton of fun just ollieing over branches and clumps of snow.

Flex/Camber Profile
I'd give this board a 6 rating flex-wise. Just over middle-of-the-road. Perfect for all-mountain freestyle in my opinion. Torsionally, it is a bit stiffer which is one of the reasons why this board carves so well for a mid-flex.

I was very curious about Never Summer's now famous Rocker Camber profile. Love it. I'm going to say it... I like it more than my previous favorite, C2 BTX. While the C2 is in fact more playful, it doesn't lend to carving and stability (stable C2 boards are good deal stiff like the T.Rice). Never Summer got things right with their hybrid camber and this is probably another reason why a board of this flex can handle like a bigger, stiffer board. I like that their camber section feels like it has more bite. I haven't compared it next to a C2 yet, but I'd hazard a guess that NS's camber zone is a little more pronounced. Although there wasn't a ton of pow, I did take the Proto on the sides of the runs where everyone was neglecting the untouched snow build-up. The NS held up really well and gave me a glimpse of what riding actual pow would be like. Obviously, there are better pow boards out there, but the Proto CT does well enough.

Other Thoughts
I have to mention that I had a crash on the Proto. I was riding behind a skier and wanted take a path to the right. I did not realize that he had the same path in mind and he made an abrupt right turn. We ended up colliding causing him to lose his skies and me to go into a tuck and roll. Don't worry, I admitted fault and apologized and we both had a good laugh about it. Anyway, back to the point. I was sure I was going to find some damage on my board. Absolutely sure of it. Needless to say, I still can't find it and I want to give it another look over next time I ride. I guess Never Summer isn't kidding about the Carbonium topsheet being durable.

That brings me to my other point. The Carbonium topsheet not only looks good, but makes for a damn handy stomp pad. As in, you don't need one with this board. The whole topsheet acts as a stomp pad thanks to that cool looking texture.

Conclusions
Boy oh boy did Never Summer deliver. Trust me, I wanted every bone in my body not to like this board as much as I did just so I can have a different opinion than the rest of the crowd. But now, I realize that this Never Summer hype has a solid foundation. Is it the perfect board? Well, no. No board truly will be perfect. But for an all-mountain freestyle shredder, it comes pretty darn close.

Who do I recommend the Proto CT for? The intermediate-advanced rider that is looking for a do everything ride.

Big thanks to Vince and Tracey for giving me this opportunity. The Proto CT is definitely an excellent board that exceeded all my expectations.

See less See more
#647 ·
the boot size i quoted is actually a mens one so a size 9 mens boot. yes the reason why im not considering the infinity is because of the width. it's the same as the roxy eminence. I had the 152 eminence :)

hmm thanks for the insight of the weight difference between the sl and proto. if thats the case then the SL is probably much more suited to my style. which one would you pick, the 151 or the 153?

#648 ·
Short answer: 153.

Longer Answer:
I rode the 2012 153 SL at 71 kg... and it felt short for my preference in an all-mountain board. Since I'm a good 10 kg heavier than you I think a 153 would feel more all-mountain freeride-ish to you. I caveat this by saying the differences will be subtle (we are talking about a difference of 2 cm here, or less than two finger widths).

As a side note, I notice that Shayboarder's review of the Raptor 159 was that it felt "lighter than average" while she listed both the Proto CT and the SL as "average weight."

#649 ·
Well after day 2 on the Proto 152 here is my updated review. You can read the original review from last year (of a 157) on my blog. NEVER SUMMER Proto CT 2012 Geeks of Shred!

"Well here’s the follow up as promised. I’ve gotten a couple of days out on my 152 cm Proto CT and I’m really happy with it. This size is a lot more appropriate for my weight. I have no problem twisting the board torsionally, which I like a lot for short radius turns. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to press and butter this deck. I expected the added stiffness of the board to make that a bit more difficult. I was able to do butter combos fairly easily on the 152. It definitely feels a lot more stable at speed and damp than my Evo though.
I wasn’t able to take it to any jumps or park features to speak of, its early season here and there isn’t much going on. My overall feeling was that the board liked to be pushed. Definitely a better choice for intermediate-advanced riders. I’m stoked that this is going to be my everyday ride for the season. Holler at me if I can answer any questions."

I hope that helps some people out. for reference, I'm 150 lbs.

#653 ·
That's an out of date rule of thumb that store salespeople used to use when they were lazy and didn't want/know how to size a person properly based on their weight and riding preferences. It isn't valid anymore with modern board design features like blunted tips or larger upturned nose for powder.

#655 ·
I just thought i'd add my own review of this board to this thread.

Just a little background on my riding level. I've been riding for 5 or maybe 6 seasons now (15+ times each season). I'm more of a park oriented rider. I hit straight airs with simple grabs for 30 or 40 foot kickers, can do some jibs but sometimes with a lot of difficulty (fs board slides/fs 50/50 bs board slides).

picked up a proto ct 152 in october and paired it up with a pair of flux sf45s.

Note: the only other board I can truthfully compare this board to is my old 2007 rome agent 155

I took this board with me to tremblant this past weekend. The conditions were icy, only 3 boxes in the park and no jumps were up.

Pros: The first thing I really noticed about the proto is how fast it was on the slopes. The sintzzered 5501 base is super fast and glides over ice very well. The vario grip lives up to the hype. I was able to carve down the icey conditions no problem. The rocker camber profile provided a lot of pop when I was ollieing down steep drops and I didn't have any problems washing out when I landed. Board transitions from edge to edge really well. As I mentioned earlier, I'm more of a park rat but I with this board I really enjoyed bombing it down black runs. The 152 definitely rides like a 155 or maybe even a 157. Although it rides much longer this board also is able to hold its own on jibs. took this board to do some simple jibs on a flat box. Was able to lock in fs Boards no problem. I did eat shit real bad once cause I caught an edge on my nose.. still debating if i should detune tip and tail...

Cons: I didn't detune tip and tail so even with the blunted tips, the tip and tail seemed a lot catchier than my old agent (but i detuned the shit out of the tip and tail so it's not a fair comparison). I've heard other reviews say this board is more flexible and playful than the flex rating 5 listed on the NS website, but I found this board to be rather stiff. The rocker profile makes it easier to lift the nose or the tail but when you really try to press down on the board to lay down a solid tail press/tail block, you have to push down quite a bit (this maybe a pro for others.. i just thought this board would be a bit more playful). The sintzered 5501 base although fast, is awful at holding wax in... i saw dry spots after the first day of riding and unfortunately i didn't bring my kit with me. I'll be waxing after every session from here on out.

Overall: this board lives up to its name as an all mountain shred. It's fast, and can carve through just about any part of the mountain regardless of icey conditions. I haven't been able to take this board out on jumps yet but judging by how well it holds on ice and how poppy it is, I would imagine this board would be awesome on large jumps and even the pipe. While not amazing on jibs, this board still holds up quite nicely on jibs. not so great for butters/flatground tricks though.

I would recommend this board for anyone who likes to lap the entire mountain with the occasional visit to the park to hit huge airs.

#656 ·
what a wealth of info, just got through reading the whole thread and thanks for everyones input. I really wasnt looking at getting a new board this season but now im very tempted! I have the 155 08/09 slr (ye the first season of rc) cosmetically its scratched up a bit but the base is still pretty good with only a little bit of ptex. The way NS makes their boards this thing is bomb proof. I dont NEED a new board but i WANT one. I love the sound of the proto, how it will be more playful and lighter than my current SL. Much like the new SL sounds too. Argghh, then i also want new bindings (tt30s or sf45s).

Anyway my real question, how does the proto ct handle resort powder? I will be riding a lot in Revelstoke this winter, its got quite a bit of slack country hiking and it can get quite deep. from what i have been reading i should probably get the 154 as it rides like a 157 but im worried that is too small for the pow wow. Im 170lbs so right in the middle between the 154 and 157. If i went with the 157 im worried with the blunted nose and tail, that the effective edge will be a whole 4cms more than what i have now. I ride a lot of trees in Revy and i do like the turning radius of the 155, will a 157 proto ct have a much larger turning radius in the trees? And lastly, I know its a true twin so how does it handle the bindings with a bit of setback?

#657 ·
if you want something that will excel in powder get something with taper. I thought my 164 unity reverse was a rad board in pow until I rode my 158 charlie slasher. No leg burn, check. Ride completely centered over the board, check. much more difficult to sink the nose on landings, check. Mob low slope angle pow, check.

Having owned both a OG sl-r as well as a proto, IMO they are to similar for me to have both of them in my quiver. The rocker in never summers boards make them very efficient for quick tight radius turns, thats one of the pros of boards with reverse camber inbetween the bindings. They pivot super easy compared to cambered boards, imo. I'm the same weight as you and bought a 160 proto, I don't mind it at all for tight turns and weaving in and out of trees. I also have mine set up with one inch more nose than tail... but I generally set up my resort twins like that. Anyways, my opinion is that if you are going to be riding 10+ legit pow days for this year and years to come, do yourself a favor and buy something with taper, esp. since you already have a slr... but if you are set on the proto I would size up if you are primarily buying it for resort pow.......

#658 ·
today's proto ct update. I'm figuring this board out more and more as I get mileage on it. 1. I like it a lot more with the 1 degree bevel. I feel way safer putting it sideways on a rail or box now. 2. I'm figuring out the flex pattern and its starting to work for me. I was pleasantly surprised today to find I could do nose blocks on it. the board flexed really naturally into the block. 3. It charges. conditions that would be a chattery workout on my evo are trouble free on the proto.
I'm of course figuring out what I dislike as well. While I can press/butter it fine, its not as fun as on the evo. I haven't' figured out the sweet spot for cab spins yet, and i'm having trouble doing nollies..but i'm sure it will come.

#662 · (Edited)
I've been following this thread for a few months, thought I'd chime in with my first post:

Me: 39yrs old, 5'10", 175lbs | 19yrs on a board | Based in Colorado, hit Utah, Jackson and Baldface every year

Boards ridden: Burton (Customs and CX, BMC, Vapor, Fish, UnIncs) | LibTech Rice BTX | Never Summer (Heritage, SL, Proto CT)

Terrain: Trees, Back Country, Groomers, Powder. I spend the majority of my resort time seeking out hidden stashes in the trees, mixing in hotlaps on groomers here and there. Backcountry of Jackson, Utah spots and Baldface is as you'd expect: steep, deep and looking for/dealing with all things that present themselves.. cliffs, rocks, downed trees.. hell I think there are some buried snowcats and lodges at Baldface.

Board Reviewed: NS Proto CT 160 (Bindings: Burton Cartel Restricted | Boots: Burton Ion)
Boards and Me: After riding Airs and Brushies in the early 90s, I was drawn to the responsiveness and charging capabilities of the BMC and CustomX's. The longer UnIncs began to sway me that a more playful board could still charge. I was one of the few that REALLY liked the Vapor, I thought it was the perfect all-around board (price was just stupid). I said what the hell and jumped on the rocker bandwagon in the form of the TRice BTX and hated it. I thought it was dead, chattered like hell, gave me no confidence and high speed and was a tank in the trees. Moved over to NS and loved the SL first time I rode it. Decided on the Heritage last year because I had some backcountry trips lined up, it didn't dissapoint - I'm sold on NS's advancements in the last couple of years. If there's a way to make a capped, RC board, blunted tips and set back just a wee bit.. I'd buy 2.

Why I purchased the Proto CT: I rode a NS Heritage 158 last year. Spending many of my resort days with my 7yr old, I decided I wanted a board a little more flexible and playful but enough edge and dampness to charge down the steep stuff and capable of handling the snorkle-deep stuff at Baldface.

Review location: Copper Mountain
Conditions: Hard pack, no new snow. Bullet proof in the morning, softening in the afternoon.

First Impression: This board feels "extra-engineered", meaning.. it feels like the guys at NS are stepping into the next phase of their RC technology. Compared to the Heritage and SL of last year, the Proto CT gives me the sense that NS is realizing that RC by itself was good, but they're now exploiting RC with increased attention to materials, geometries..etc. The Proto CT flex pattern is playful, but you can easily put it on a rails and drive through steep, choppy stuff with that NS dampness we all love. The board is torsionally flexible giving the rider a greater ability of weight/edge control compared to the stiffer Heritage. Compared to the SL, the ProtoCT feels snappier off the tail, yet easier to butter. Once again I attribute this to the advancements in RC exploitation; the ProtoCT is "soft" in precisely the right places, allowing the rider to really "fine-tune" those moments of weight shifting. Example: Coming out of a butter at a high rate of speed, you can feel the board transition from "soft" to "stiff" in a pronounced way. The SL was similarly responsive in this manner, the ProtoCT just feels THAT much more dialed-in in my opinion.

Per terrain:
  • Groomers: Early morning and everything is bullet proof. First couple of runs I was smearing my tail around until I managed to figure out the how to engage a turn with my weight dialed-in. Once I figured it out, the ProtoCT performed well. The CF struts are apparent underfoot, not like the Heritage which is too stiff to really "feel" the end of the camber points. The SL is comparable, but the ProtoCT just provides greater feel. You can rail this thing on some of the iciest stuff you could find, you just need to tune into your weight transfer and engage your edges by pressing out to engage the contact points. Same could be said of all RC boards, but again.. the ProtoCT really allows you to fine tune this through more pronounced "feel". Unlike the TRice BTX, where the rocker made me less and less confident as I increased speed, the ProtoCT almost felt like a full camber board as the speed and steep increased. The flexibility allowed me to pull my knees in quickly to initiate quick turns and push out with confidence to hold it on it's edge with no wash out.

• Flat Land: The forgiveness of rocker is widely apparent on the flats, but the classic NS dampening keeps the chattering down and gives you the sense that at "flat" you're still on the majority of your base (even on the 160). Buttering is breeze, but snappy.. I didn't have to huck out of a butter as I have with more flexible boards. Ollie's are precise and snappy as the rider can feel the tail load. Anyone who rode the Vapor (and liked it) will like the smooth transition as the tail loads and you feel the weight transfer beyond the back foot with no effort at all. The SL was similar in snap, but less "dynamic", the Heritage just rockets you straight and you're up in the air before you know it (CustomX was very similar). If you rode any of the UnIncs, the ratio of snap to flexibility is similar when talking flat'ish ground and initiating ollies off smaller features. As a datapoint, many of the people I know riding Yes boards say the same of those.. (UnInc -> Yes.. so it makes sense)

• Trees: I didn't have much to work with, saplings poking through everywhere. Where there were tracks, the ProtoCT turned tightly. From reading this forum, the majority of readers go for smaller boards than I do. A ProtoCT in 157 would destroy in the trees where tight turns and responsiveness is key. The flexibility between the bindings allows you to pull your back leg up in an instanct, without sacrificing balance. The torsional flex really stands out as superior to the Heritage and SL, you can initiate quick turns and slower speeds and still keep your toe-edge intact at the front. After adjusting the ankle strap on my back binding (moving it down to the lowest position on the heelcup), I gained another level of control in the areas of tight, quick turns.

• Powder: NONE. Only thing worth mentioning here would be my assumption that the blunted tips, specifically the nose didn't leave me feeling like there was any risk of submarining in the deep stuff. The fact that the ends are soft enough and the placement of the rocker suggested to me, even though I was only in 4"-6" of powder, the nose would float just fine.

• Park: I'm 39, have a good paying job and two kids. I'd like to say I don't ride park because I don't want to wait in line. The truth is, I don't want to wait in line only to skip all the rails, flail off the hip and throw a vintage 1993 Jamie Lynn method off the kicker to the snickers of 100 kids who weren't even alive in 1993. Also, I'm afraid of getting hurt.

Overall Impression: I found the ProtoCT to be a perfect combination of all mountain, resort and (I'm confident) backcountry. It's a dynamic board that is playful enough that you can butter and goof off without fear of catching, but performant and responsive that you can throttle it when you want. It's not overpowering in that it'll ride you if you don't ride it, ala the Heritage, CustomX. Most of all I really get the sense that it's the first in the next phase of RC construction. The shape of the board exploits the RC and flexibility by providing increased effective edge and shallower sidecut. It did NOT feel like it rode longer than it is, I felt like it took advantage of the rocker in such a way that a full tip and tail could be spared and in favor of turn initiation, the torsional flexibility made for less sidecut. The only time the ProtoCT might lack what the stiffer hard-chargers excel is in REALLY choppy crud. Where you just want to push your front leg out and let the board destroy anything in it's path. Provided you're not having to plow through too much crud or your capable of making a few wider turns to your destination, the ProtoCT will be fine. For me the 160 turned out to be the perfect size, it doesn't feel as long as any of my previous cambered 158-160s and it's ability to hold an edge is top shelf. For those of you who rode UnInc's - I was always caught between the 158 feeling too small at speed and the 160 too big in the trees. The ProtoCT seems like it fills that type of gap, not just in terms of length but in the combination of length, geometry and RC. I cannot speak for those of you who prefer a shorter board for more park time. I'm confident that the 157 would get it done all over the mountain with few limitations, but you might be lacking in terms of stance - particularly in setting your stance back for powder. If you're 5'7"-6', I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than the 157, I just don't think you'd feel the advantages of the ProtoCT's nuances (could be wrong).

Bindings: I struggled between the 390 bosses, Phantoms and Cartels. What finally swayed me was the Cartel restricted's straps. Burton seems to have finally created a good toe-cap and the asym heel strap is SUPER comfy. I would trend towards a mid flex binding for this board. I think anything like a Targa or similar stiff binding would provide too much power and overwhelm the responsiveness the ProtoCT seems designed to provide. Also, the new baseplate channel thing on the cartels was completely unnoticeable, I reserve the right to alter my opinion, but I didn't feel any difference first time out.

Again, this is just the opinion of a 39yr old guy that has seen A LOT of snowboard designs and "technologies" come and go.

I'll update my review as the season unfolds and I ride the board across more terrain.

Thanks.

#663 ·
I've been following this thread for a few months, thought I'd chime in with my first post:

Me: 39yrs old, 5'10", 175lbs | 19yrs on a board | Based in Colorado, hit Utah, Jackson and Baldface every year

Boards ridden: Burton (Customs and CX, BMC, Vapor, Fish, UnIncs) | LibTech Rice BTX | Never Summer (Heritage, SL, Proto CT)

Terrain: Trees, Back Country, Groomers, Powder. I spend the majority of my resort time seeking out hidden stashes in the trees, mixing in hotlaps on groomers here and there. Backcountry of Jackson, Utah spots and Baldface is as you'd expect: steep, deep and looking for/dealing with all things that present themselves.. cliffs, rocks, downed trees.. hell I think there are some buried snowcats and lodges at Baldface.

Board Reviewed: NS Proto CT 160 (Bindings: Burton Cartel Restricted | Boots: Burton Ion)
Boards and Me: After riding Airs and Brushies in the early 90s, I was drawn to the responsiveness and charging capabilities of the BMC and CustomX's. The longer UnIncs began to sway me that a more playful board could still charge. I was one of the few that REALLY liked the Vapor, I thought it was the perfect all-around board (price was just stupid). I said what the hell and jumped on the rocker bandwagon in the form of the TRice BTX and hated it. I thought it was dead, chattered like hell, gave me no confidence and high speed and was a tank in the trees. Moved over to NS and loved the SL first time I rode it. Decided on the Heritage last year because I had some backcountry trips lined up, it didn't dissapoint - I'm sold on NS's advancements in the last couple of years. If there's a way to make a capped, RC board, blunted tips and set back just a wee bit.. I'd buy 2.

Why I purchased the Proto CT: I rode a NS Heritage 158 last year. Spending many of my resort days with my 7yr old, I decided I wanted a board a little more flexible and playful but enough edge and dampness to charge down the steep stuff and capable of handling the snorkle-deep stuff at Baldface.

Review location: Copper Mountain
Conditions: Hard pack, no new snow. Bullet proof in the morning, softening in the afternoon.

First Impression: This board feels "extra-engineered", meaning.. it feels like the guys at NS are stepping into the next phase of their RC technology. Compared to the Heritage and SL of last year, the Proto CT gives me the sense that NS is realizing that RC by itself was good, but they're now exploiting RC with increased attention to materials, geometries..etc. The Proto CT flex pattern is playful, but you can easily put it on a rails and drive through steep, choppy stuff with that NS dampness we all love. The board is torsionally flexible giving the rider a greater ability of weight/edge control compared to the stiffer Heritage. Compared to the SL, the ProtoCT feels snappier off the tail, yet easier to butter. Once again I attribute this to the advancements in RC exploitation; the ProtoCT is "soft" in precisely the right places, allowing the rider to really "fine-tune" those moments of weight shifting. Example: Coming out of a butter at a high rate of speed, you can feel the board transition from "soft" to "stiff" in a pronounced way. The SL was similarly responsive in this manner, the ProtoCT just feels THAT much more dialed-in in my opinion.

Per terrain:
  • Groomers: Early morning and everything is bullet proof. First couple of runs I was smearing my tail around until I managed to figure out the how to engage a turn with my weight dialed-in. Once I figured it out, the ProtoCT performed well. The CF struts are apparent underfoot, not like the Heritage which is too stiff to really "feel" the end of the camber points. The SL is comparable, but the ProtoCT just provides greater feel. You can rail this thing on some of the iciest stuff you could find, you just need to tune into your weight transfer and engage your edges by pressing out to engage the contact points. Same could be said of all RC boards, but again.. the ProtoCT really allows you to fine tune this through more pronounced "feel". Unlike the TRice BTX, where the rocker made me less and less confident as I increased speed, the ProtoCT almost felt like a full camber board as the speed and steep increased. The flexibility allowed me to pull my knees in quickly to initiate quick turns and push out with confidence to hold it on it's edge with no wash out.

• Flat Land: The forgiveness of rocker is widely apparent on the flats, but the classic NS dampening keeps the chattering down and gives you the sense that at "flat" you're still on the majority of your base (even on the 160). Buttering is breeze, but snappy.. I didn't have to huck out of a butter as I have with more flexible boards. Ollie's are precise and snappy as the rider can feel the tail load. Anyone who rode the Vapor (and liked it) will like the smooth transition as the tail loads and you feel the weight transfer beyond the back foot with no effort at all. The SL was similar in snap, but less "dynamic", the Heritage just rockets you straight and you're up in the air before you know it (CustomX was very similar). If you rode any of the UnIncs, the ratio of snap to flexibility is similar when talking flat'ish ground and initiating ollies off smaller features. As a datapoint, many of the people I know riding Yes boards say the same of those.. (UnInc -> Yes.. so it makes sense)

• Trees: I didn't have much to work with, saplings poking through everywhere. Where there were tracks, the ProtoCT turned tightly. From reading this forum, the majority of readers go for smaller boards than I do. A ProtoCT in 157 would destroy in the trees where tight turns and responsiveness is key. The flexibility between the bindings allows you to pull your back leg up in an instanct, without sacrificing balance. The torsional flex really stands out as superior to the Heritage and SL, you can initiate quick turns and slower speeds and still keep your toe-edge intact at the front. After adjusting the ankle strap on my back binding (moving it down to the lowest position on the heelcup), I gained another level of control in the areas of tight, quick turns.

• Powder: NONE. Only thing worth mentioning here would be my assumption that the blunted tips, specifically the nose didn't leave me feeling like there was any risk of submarining in the deep stuff. The fact that the ends are soft enough and the placement of the rocker suggested to me, even though I was only in 4"-6" of powder, the nose would float just fine.

• Park: I'm 39, have a good paying job and two kids. I'd like to say I don't ride park because I don't want to wait in line. The truth is, I don't want to wait in line only to skip all the rails, flail off the hip and throw a vintage 1993 Jamie Lynn method off the kicker to the snickers of 100 kids who weren't even alive in 1993. Also, I'm afraid of getting hurt.

Thanks.

strong 1st post. Is there anything negative you would like to say about the board?

#665 ·
i agree with the above post. the proto ct is good at everything, but does not excel at anything. that said, it's a freestyle board which is what it's geared towards. it's weaker on the butter/jib side and stronger suited towards the carve/jump side.

it's a bit grabby, and can get squirrelly because its so easy to initiate turns. i wouldn't say these are cons though, more like attributes towards the proto which make it what it is.

the more i ride this thing, the more i fall in love with it. i dont find the need to really ride anything else.

if you're going to buy this board, i would say do not size down from what you originally ride unless you plan to go all park/jib.

#668 ·
As a relatively new snowboarder who has no near-term plans to hit the park, should I go with the Proto CT or the SL? I really want a board that will last me for a long, long time and allow me to progress my overall skills.

Also, any binding suggestions? I've been told I should look into the Union Forces, but opinions on this forum seem mixed. I also need some suggestions on the size of the board. I'm 5'11" and around 190 lbs. I'm thinking if I go with the Proto the 157 will be a good fit.

#669 · (Edited)
As a relatively new snowboarder who has no near-term plans to hit the park, should I go with the Proto CT or the SL? I really want a board that will last me for a long, long time and allow me to progress my overall skills.

I'm 5'11" and around 190 lbs. I'm thinking if I go with the Proto the 157 will be a good fit.
I had the 2008 SL 155, 2009 SL 155(first season with reverse camber tech) and have demoed the 2012 Proto CT 154 and SL 153 and 155. I'm 5'9" 160 lbs (darn holiday food).

Even though I decided to go with the 2012 Proto CT to replace my 2009 SL, I would recommend the SL 158 for you because it is more damp (absorbs vibration and chop better) and still is going to be good in the park for basic jumps and boxes, it might be a bit harder to press it, but really if you know how to press a snowboard, you can do it with the SL, if you don't well you still won't really be able to press the Proto CT either.

Honestly, if you don't plan on going to the park... might want to look at the Heritage as well. Owning/loving a Never Summer Proto CT has become the latest of many internet trends ("It's what the cool kids ride!"). It's a great board, but it isn't the only good board out there.

#684 ·
Completely agree.

After a third day on the Proto and more importantly loaning it to a friend for a few runs, I don't think a relatively new rider is going to enjoy the subtle nuances of the ProtoCT.

Also to add onto the "not the only good board out there".... agree here as well.

The ProtoCT is getting a lot of hype and I wouldn't have posted a review if I didn't think it warranted some extra attention. The ProtoCT is a unique board and for those who've been riding a long time, it's design and performance does offer something to genuinely get excited about. That said, the ProtoCT's popularity means nothing in terms of other boards, their design or performance. NS could've just as easily missed the mark completely and no one would be talking about it.

There's been alot of "advancements" in snowboarding, but you have to remember these companies have to invent new and exciting features to keep their product line "hot".

Twin tip -> 3D baseplates -> FatBob -> Baseless -> Capped -> Clip-in -> Carbon -> Aluminum -> Slider > Glueless -> Magnetraction -> Rocker -> RC....etc.

Some of you will recall, most of these "advancements" (and the many I left off) were little more than hype. My opinion is what we're seeing with the ProtoCT is proving to be a promising evolution in design and materials. I suspect next year's NS lineup will show heavy influence from the ProtoCT's popularity.
Based on what you said about a "new rider" being someone who never road before period, how would you say a 15 year rider would appreciate it after riding a standard camber Burton balance from 7 years ago till present? I just bought the Proto 157 yesterday to replace the balance i've been on the past 7 years. So i have experience in riding but have never rode a rocker, reverse camber or any other hybrid.

#688 ·
Based on what you said about a "new rider" being someone who never road before period, how would you say a 15 year rider would appreciate it after riding a standard camber Burton balance from 7 years ago till present? I just bought the Proto 157 yesterday to replace the balance i've been on the past 7 years. So i have experience in riding but have never rode a rocker, reverse camber or any other hybrid.
yes, go ride it if you have snow and worry less.

#672 ·
anyone figure out how to put stickers on this badboy yet?
i keep losing my stickers :(

#673 ·
On my last/second trip snowboarding in January I actually ended up demoing an Evo (don't ask me how. I told the folks at the shop that I wanted a demo and I ended up on the Evo without really knowing much about it). I actually enjoyed how easy it was to manipulate, but I did NOT enjoy how damp it was. I had no idea that I was on a board primarily meant for the park.

I was originally leaning toward the SL, then got on the Proto CT hype train (the graphics and topsheet are awesome). Now you guys have me leaning back toward the SL! Guess I just need to make a decision and pull the trigger on one or the other.

#677 ·
the carbonium topsheet apparently chips. the scratch resist is cool but a skier ran over my board at the base lodge today and took a chunk of it off. not like i care but just thought i'd toss it out there incase anyone ever wondered.

the snow was dreamy today, this thing raped the mountain today. i figured out some more sweet spots, and the nollies were insane once i figured out how to really use those v-beams.

took it jibbing as well which is something i normally never do, and after a new wax last night buttering was a dream as well.

quiver killer right hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

#689 ·
sorry about another "is this board or this board good for me" question, but i rode an arbor westmark 156 last year, and i love it but it tends to squirrel and get choppy in certain conditions, it feels a little slow to pick up speed, and some of my landings off jumps come out a little loopy (like i have to pay extra attention to how i take off).

i'm deciding between the evo and the proto and likely will be debating this for a few more weeks before choosing (hopefully neither sells out). i'm by no means a park rat; my friends and i tend to just stop over there on our way down and don't spend our entire day unstrapping and walking back up, but we do enjoy aggressively riding through everything taking hits off the sides of trails, executing sharp turns, or buttering our way down when we feel like being playful. which board would generally suit me better? i don't mind working a bit harder on the mountain if it means i can have a lot more fun doing it, but i guess it depends what kind of trade-off it is.

i rode my friend's proto 154, though it was for a very short run; it felt similar in most ways. a few things i noticed were that i could gain speed more quickly, turn initiation was easier though it might've been due to the slightly smaller size, and it felt more stable at high speeds and going through chop. i felt ollies would a bit easier as well.

i'm willing to work a little harder going down the mountain if it means i can potentially have more fun doing so. call me crazy but i sometimes actually enjoy the chatter and noise that comes with my board; it's more unsettling if i have a super smooth ride. i guess it's the sports car mentality?

#691 ·
I do not recommend the Evo at all for you. I use the Evo purely for freestyle. It does exactly what you stated, squirrly on varying conditions and speed.

I use the Proto for more all-mountain riding. I still freestyle though. Like you, I hit everything I can find. The Proto is also very nice on jumps. Super snappy. So far it has also held up very well at speed and on chop. Stable, but not damp. The Proto has a very lively feel. I like this feel, but I know some people won't.

If you're looking for more stability and dampness, but don't want to sacrifice too much freestyle ability, the SL is a good option. I went with the Proto because I wanted a True Twin and less dampening.

#692 ·
So I finally able to get out with the Proto. At Mont Tremblant and the conditions is packed snow with some ice. Talk about a FAST board. I could hardly go at a slow pace. Very stable board but not so grippy on icy parts as like my older custom. Still am very pleased with it. Gonna see how it goes the next couple of days with it as I'm still not used to the board yet. It seems to pair up well with the Targa (as to my surprised). Board is quite light and poppy even with the heavier bindings.

#697 ·
So my two cents.

Finally got out for the first time on my ProtoCT 157. First time riding this year and first time in new board, bindings (Burton Prophecy Reflex) and boots (K2 T1). Conditions were less than good, man-made packed base and temps in the mid-40's. I spent my first 3-4 runs just trying to get back in the swing of riding after 9 months off. I had to adjust to a longer board (I rode a 2009 155 SL the last few years), a longer effective edge, and a centered stance. I absolutely noticed the longer effective edge more than anything. It seemed that it took far less effort to initiate a turn and when I did, the edges just locked in. Likewise, transitioning in and out of turns, it felt like it took more effort to disengage the edges, especially in the tail. Not sure quite how to explain it but frequently on the first few runs it felt like the tail was still holding an edge much longer than I wanted/anticipated.

It wasn't until my 2nd set of runs, after a two-beer break, that I felt like I started to get a good feel for how to handle the board. I'm not able to break things down into technical terms like some of the others here, I just know that suddenly the discomfort was gone and the board was an extension of my body. I thought about it and laser fast, the board was doing it. Edge hold was great at moderate speeds (first day out, I didn't bomb much of anything just cruised), very fast edge-to-edge, very playful but it still felt substantial between my feet and could handle the poor choppy and hard-packed conditions. I did notice the board has quite a bit of pop, more so than my SL. I didn't really push this, hitting jumps or trying to load it up, this was again mostly just cruising around and testing out the board and doing small ollies and playing around. When I got my timing right, it felt like the board just wanted to leap up off the snow and keep going up. :)

Unfortunately due to other commitments (stupid responsibilities) I had to cut it short after the 2nd set of runs. I'm going back out this weekend and the following weekend road tripping to Seven Springs. After those two weekends, I should have a much more well formed opinion of the ProtoCT. Based upon the 2nd half of my first day out, I absolutely am confident this board is going to live up to my expectations.

MeanJoe

#700 ·
This is exactly how I felt on my first day. Granted, I was really overcompensating when initiating turns and going from edge to edge - this is due to tendencies of my old board (Ride Decade, circa 2005) washing out on anything but perfect corduroy. Conditions that day was crap, in all honesty, and I did not have a chance to do many runs. Edge hold was incredible on the Proto and actually caused 2 very unconventional wipe outs --> forward tumble end to end - kinda like catching edge except I caught the front incut.

Great input MeanJoe. You hit the nail on the head with your comment about the edges. I really think that bite is inherent with the NS RC design. It's why I love it. You don't get that bite until you engage that edge.

One thing I do when I'm carving on the Proto: I spring out the edge I'm on. Snowolf would explain this in much greater detail. It's like you're pushing off the edge you are on into the other edge. This also makes you gain speed. It's a technique I learned on cambered boards.
Continuing my thoughts above, 2nd day out there wasn't much chance for carving either - can't wait to actually put a full day out on this board. However, after the disastrous 1st day, this time out I knew what to expect - only minuscule inputs (when compared to old board, that is) were needed to initiate turns - edge to edge were obviously much quicker. What I did notice, though, is exactly what Leo said - springing out from edge to edge picked up serious speed. I really can't wait to get on some nice corduroy to put it through its paces again.

Coming from an old, crappy camber board really took some getting used to but all in all, even after only 2 days, fondness has grown to epic proportions and I expect it to grow further with more time invested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.