Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Preparing an 11 yr old for first time out?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
EatRideSleep
Veteran Member

Default Preparing an 11 yr old for first time out?

If we ever get enough snow here on the east coast, I'd like to take my 11 yr old nephew snowboarding. I'll get him into a lesson, of course, but I was wondering...is there anything I can do to prep him beforehand? Any dryland things I can run through with him? I searched but didn't find much.

I've already told him to expect to fall, and that falling is a part of snowboarding, especially when first learning. I said it in a fun way, and because he's an introverted type. I've noticed his expectations can be rather high..when he expects something different from how it goes, he sort of shuts down and is done with it without trying further (well, that's how his one and only horseback riding lesson went when he realized he just couldn't hop on the pony and hi-ho-silver).

He's fairly athletic, but doesn't do regular sports. He can skate a little but prefers taking his scooter, not his skateboard, to the skate park.

Because he's already had a few fractures (arm and leg, unrelated to sports), mostly I want to prepare him on how to fall properly. Are there any age appropriate key phrases to use? I was thinking of telling him to pretend he's holding something in each hand, and that when he falls toeside he has to hold onto them and not let them go. I was thinking lemons but they might be too big?

I'm sure an instructor will cover this in a lesson but in the event he either doesn't pay full attention or gets overwhelmed, I want him to have some key things to fall back on, so to speak. He's a great kid but unfortunately his confidence is not the best. I want to give him the best possible intro to snowboarding.

Thanks for any suggestions and if there's something else that would help, please let me know!
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote