Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Best resorts in New Hampshire & Vermont?!
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
surfinsnow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alihockey View Post
we definately are willing to go for a longer drive for the best. interesting info about killington. thanks so much to both of you.

my roommate and i are definately both intermediate but we love long runs and steep (depending on how steep).
Something I should have mentioned about Bolton Valley; it's not really in the same league as Stowe, JP or Sugarbush, resort-wise. Which is part of why I like it. It is literally owned by the local town folks, not a big resort chain, so it keeps a very local feel. Small lodge and base hotel, limited services, but I think the mountain has some of the funnest terrain out there, including some great long cruisers. But there's nothing in the way of nightlife. That's why I suggest making it a part of a multi-day trip with Stowe and/or Sugarbush.

I just got back from a weekend that started at Stowe, then we drove up to Jay Peak...they're not too far apart, either, but it's all little farm roads, and can be treacherous if the weather is bad. (BTW, Jay Peak cost us less than $100 a person for a nice room in their brand new hotel and INCLUDED lift tickets and water park passes).

Also, I am sure you'll see others post here defending Killington. For some reason, it has a loyal following. I have a couple skier friends who love it, but for a snowboarder it's just a million very short trails with lots of flat transitions between different parts of the mountain. I always feel like just when I'm hitting my stride and really start charging it, boom, the trail ends, more often than not on a flat area requiring stepping out of the bindings for a walk to the lift. It's especially bad for groups...one wrong turn -- easy to do there -- and you'll find yourself at a whole different base from where you started and you won't meet up with your friends again for an hour.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote