Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Clothes for 0 degree weather

20K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Myoko 
#1 ·
Doing my first snowboard trip to Europe. I'm heading to Val thorens and I don't want the trip to suck because I am freezing the whole way down the mountain. I'm used to snowboarding in Lake Tahoe and it doesn't really get too cold over there.

I have already purchased gordini vertigo gtx gloves, and a seirus combo scarf (Seirus Neofleece Combo Scarf - Free Shipping at REI.com)

I usually wear thermals under my underarmor pants and I'm usually sweating by the end of the day, but since the weather will be much colder in France, I'm thinking of picking up some 686 smarty insulated pants. The only reason I specified those pants is because those are the only ones that I've tried on so I know what size I need. Do snowboard pants all run relatively the same fit?

I have some decent socks, and if it isn't warm enough I think I'll just double them up.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I should purchase to prepare myself?

Thank you

#2 · (Edited)
I used 686 Smarty pants in Tignes a few weeks ago.

Firstly really nice pants. Look good, well waterproof and well made.

Secondly I wasn't cold at all. I wore the liners a few times as some days were -10c (14f) but ended up with the vents open a lot of the time. Was nice to have the versatility though. But I reckon I'd have managed ok without the liners even on the cold days if I'd had to. I was also wearing merino wool socks, knee pads and impact shorts so those probably provided some extra warmth.

The liners did make pretty good lounging pants for around the apartment in evening thought!

#11 ·
And remember wool is warmer than cotton socks. I've found that it's all about layers. I wear a thin 686 jacket every day of the year here in Colorado. Last year I rode Breck when it was -22 when I woke up with -40 windchill (in fahrenheit) with an Underarmour base layer, a t-shirt, a fleece, a tall tee and my jacket and was just fine. Go with something that wicks sweat, a t shirt, a sweatshirt and you can survive anything.

#5 · (Edited)
Im from Denmark and have only been boarding in austria and Italy in Europe and my setup have always been..

Inner layer:
1: Set of thermal underwear.. Dryshell
1: T-Shirt..
1: layer of socks

Outer layer:
Thirty Two shiloh jacket
Burton pants.

The outer layer are only wind and waterproof and this work fine for me down to -10 Celcius ( maybe a little more ) but its around here i would bring some more..

Hopes this helps a little..

/Cheers

#7 ·
Thanks The-Snoopy. Thats usually how I dress for Lake Tahoe, and depending on the weather, I also wear a fleece under my jacket. I think the Combo scarf and new gloves will help keep me warm since I never used a face mask before and my other gloves were all ripped.

The 686 smarty pants have been purchased so I'm sure I will be plenty warm now.

Thanks for the help guys

#8 ·
0 deg centigrade is 32f...The single warmest thing you can buy (in my experience) is a primaloft down sweater. I got the Patagonia Nano-puff jacket. You don'e even feel it under your shell.

it's super warm and very compressible. I use it instead of the sweater or over it when it's really freezing and windy.
the REI one is good to, a bit cheaper materials.

#10 · (Edited)
.The single warmest thing you can buy (in my experience) is a primaloft down sweater. I got the Patagonia Nano-puff jacket. You don't even feel it under your shell.
+1 for primaloft. I got a Northface primaloft liner a couple of years ago. Wore just the liner around at -25C with only one issue: it is so light that you have to sort of re-program yourself. I found myself thinking: "There's no heft, no bulk, so therefore I must be cold....wait...no I'm not. Really?"

In fact, it's -19C here today and I walked to work wearing the liner over over a dress shirt and sweater. My legs froze, but my torso was fine.

They compress down to nothing (mine stuffs in one of its pockets) Great for the backpack.

#14 ·
Update: I've been snowboarding for a few days now and i'm warm as hell. Thanks for the help guys. I'm using one pair merino wool socks, base layer pants, 686 pants. And for the top, a beater, base layer, fleece, and insulated snowboard jacket with a combo scarf, goggles, and beanie. I don't sweat but I'm also not cold, its perfect.

Again, thanks for all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.