Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Forcing Switch?

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  SuperSwag 
#1 ·
I am trying to bump up my ability to ride switch so I can learn some more advanced park tricks this year.
I am functional switch and can actually do some switch tricks but REALLY want to feel as comfortable switch as I am riding normally.
I can go pretty fast switch but cant do any jumps or rail tricks (besides 50-50)
I am turning what is normally my front binding toward my tail (true twin) so that I cant ride my normal stance at all.
Do you guys think this is a good idea? Do you think it will be effective? Feedback appreciated.

#3 ·
For sure dude, if you just ham it out on switch for a couple of sessions I think it'd undoubtedly make you better. However I wouldn't mentally force yourself in that you can only ride switch cause in that case you might end up mentally blocking yourself from progressing.

Try it nonetheless though man.

Also give us some feedback after you try it out as switch is gonna be my main obstacle this year.

#4 ·
I wouldn't mentally force yourself in that you can only ride switch cause in that case you might end up mentally blocking yourself from progressing.
I was thinking about that.
I hope that does not happen.
After a day if I feel like nothing is changing I will put my front foot back to its normal position so when I ride switch its a choice not a forced action.

#9 ·
I normally ride ducked out at 15, -15 I was just hoping this would help with my upper body alignment and such. However considering when I got my first starter deck it was set up at 20, 0 for a regular rider and I am goofy footed and never changed it not knowing any better I don't know how well this will work for me but its worth a shot right?

#10 ·
+15 -15 ducked on a true twin is the perfect setup to learn switch. You want to work on getting alignment/body position just as good switch. Don't change binding angles... or to put it another way, don't fix what ain't broke.

Leave it ducked and you won't have to re-correct yourself when you change it back to ride your regular stance.

#13 ·
One technique that has worked for me, is to concentrate on opening, or rolling out, your back knee when riding switch, as your muscle memory from riding normal will give it the habit of closing. A way to force this is to notch your front, normal, foot one degree past duck.

For example, last year was my first big season, and I always rode -12/12 (goofy). This year I switched to -15/15. Then after a week or so in OCT with no snow in sight I figured I better start working on switch, and about the same time I moved to -18/15.

Not only does this have the benefit of correcting your stance in switch, but it also moves your natural riding stance to a bit more forward (think alpine bomber) for speed and steeps.

I've always been a big twin, center stance, matched angles kinda guy, but this makes sense for me. Sticking to straight duck wont hurt.

#15 ·
Do everything switch outside park and you'll improve fast. Load the lift switch. Skate off the lift switch. Ride down the mountain switch. Dodge kiddies and stuff switch. JP Walker said in in 2009 when he filmed his part for This Video Sucks, he ate sushi left handed and brushed his teeth left handed. Basically, just get out there and do as much stuff as you can switch and you'll find learning stuff in the park switch becomes easier.

#16 ·
Lately, when teaching, I have been doing one footed switch riding; riding goofy with my left foot strapped in and my right (leading) foot free and skating mongo. Now THAT feels awkward as hell!!! I hate skating and getting off the chair switch!
yea that still one of the weirdest things for me, every now and then ill start unstrapping switch just for the hell of it but i look like a total noob when trying to skate in the lift line ha

#17 ·
I would just keep your board the same, and not switch up the front binding. As long as your board is a true twin, riding switch should be fine.

I tried your idea (of switching my lead binding) a year ago, and getting off of the chair lift and pushing with the other foot is a pain in the butt.

Just keep on riding switch more than regular, try going all day riding switch.

When ever im not in the park, I actually perfer riding switch more than regular now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.