Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Why am I still a beginner?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
lou1600

Default Why am I still a beginner?

I think I have a love-hate relationship with snowboarding. I went yesterday for the first time this season. I must have fallen over at least 20 times. My knees are really sore and bruised because the ground was pretty icy and hard. It didn't stop me though, I kept going.

This is my third season. The first season, I had about 4 days on the slopes and spent most of the time on my butt. Last season I had about 6 days, and was starting to link turns properly, but was still pretty slow. That is until the last day, when something clicked and everything felt really natural - I had no issues turning at all, my speed seriously increased and I was even carving easily. It was so much fun.

I know I'm out of practice, but I wasn't expecting yesterday to be so bad. I felt like I was teaching myself to turn again. By the end of the day, I was linking turns ok, but slowly and it didn't feel easy or natural, and I was still occasionally falling toeside.

Everyone says it's hard to learn at first, but I really should have learned more by now, right? I don't know anyone who snowboards who has had as much trouble as me...I'm wondering how much more to keep trying before I admit that I'm just not very good and perhaps switch to skiing.
lou1600 is offline   Reply With Quote