Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Why am I still a beginner?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pow?POW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou1600 View Post
I think I have a love-hate relationship with snowboarding. I went yesterday for the first time this season. I must have fallen over at least 20 times. My knees are really sore and bruised because the ground was pretty icy and hard. It didn't stop me though, I kept going.

This is my third season. The first season, I had about 4 days on the slopes and spent most of the time on my butt. Last season I had about 6 days, and was starting to link turns properly, but was still pretty slow. That is until the last day, when something clicked and everything felt really natural - I had no issues turning at all, my speed seriously increased and I was even carving easily. It was so much fun.

I know I'm out of practice, but I wasn't expecting yesterday to be so bad. I felt like I was teaching myself to turn again. By the end of the day, I was linking turns ok, but slowly and it didn't feel easy or natural, and I was still occasionally falling toeside.

Everyone says it's hard to learn at first, but I really should have learned more by now, right? I don't know anyone who snowboards who has had as much trouble as me...I'm wondering how much more to keep trying before I admit that I'm just not very good and perhaps switch to skiing.
It was a love hate relationship for me too man. I hated that I loved it! haha sorry I just had to

But in all seriousness it took me up to 10 days on the mountain as well before I had my first real successful linked turns on the board. I wouldn't fret about your lack of progress just keep up the determination and it'll all click into place eventually. However if your that disgusted with your lack of progress you might wanna look into getting a lesson, preferably a private one so the teacher can specifically focus on you.

Beyond that man we all have our good and bad days. I know sometimes I can kill it on the mountain while other times I seem to be biffing like a noobstick. Also you might wanna load up on some crash pads as well if your body's taking a decent beating.