Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Introduce yourself

2M views 4K replies 2K participants last post by  ctoma 
#1 ·
I will start this thread.

I am 24 years old, live in Toronto Canada.

I grew up in Regina, Saskatchewan (where there is a ton of snow) so naturally i have gone both skiing and snowboarding.

I'm still a beginner snowboarder, but hope to learn lots at Snowboarding Forum :D

#1,534 ·
Hi all ! 36 yr old dude from south jersey getting into snowboarding this season . A buddy of mine gave me a board (matt smith silence 153)to use , just got boots (vans encore boa )and bindings(ride ltd) . Tring to learn as much about the sport as i can before I hit the mountain for the first time.

#1,535 ·
Welcome!

Lots of info here on this site..there are threads in the Tips, Tricks, Instruction forum that you might find helpful before your first time out. Also consider getting a lesson.

Keep an eye on the North East regional forum for mini meets, etc in our area if you're interested.

And...think snow.

#1,537 ·
Hello everybody! Snowboarder hailing from Aurora, Co. I ride powder when there's powder, but am working on getting better in the park. Rode an 08 Burton Dominant for awhile with 08 Missions. Just bought a Skate Banana that's on it's way. Super stoked on that (yes I know there's hype, but sometimes it turns out to be a good thing). I also longboard a ton. Currently on a Clutch Doubletap with 196mm Surf Rodz and Cult Converters. So just dropping in to say hey

#1,538 ·
Hey everyone! I'm 20 years old and I've been lurking the forum for awhile and finally decided to post here. I started riding last winter so I'm still a beginner/intermediate rider. I ride mostly park considering I live in Iowa and there isn't much for powder and obviously nothing for backcountry riding, but I'm making a trip to Colorado this winter for a week and I'm pumped to finally get on a mountain!

#1,540 · (Edited)
Hey guys, old/new snowboarder from Onterrible, Canada here. I'm 26 now rode for a few years when I was younger, unfortunately ate shit one day and broke both my wrists (yeah yeah shouldnt have put my hands out to stop myself) finally decided to get back into it but it literally feels like i'm starting from scratch again :( looking forward to hanging out here seems like a lot of smart/informed riders here so information is plentiful.

#1,542 ·
Hey all! I'm 18 from Sioux Falls, SD and been riding for about 4 years (figured I should probably join after a year or two of creeping). Don't have much powder or really anything around here so I travel a lot, mostly freeride and pow outside of here, otherwise I'm stuck with groomers. Really hoping to progress this season, first few years had some luck with some broken bones! And.. just invested in a 2012 NS Infinity and I'm trying it out this weekend so I'm super stoked!
-Sam

#1,543 ·
Hello!

I'm a middle-aged rider from the suburbs of Detroit. Locally I ride at Mt. Holly (I'm pretty anxious for this season to get started). Most years I take a couple trips east, and occasionally I do trips west. This year I have two one-week trips planned to Sugarbush, Vermont. For long weekends I sometimes go to Bristol Mt. in New York or Nubs Nob in northern lower Michigan.

I have two sons, almost 3 and 5-1/2. I had my older son on downhill skis last season, and he'll be on skis again this year (he did great). Next year I'll let him switch to snowboarding.

See you on the slopes.

#1,546 ·
I forgot to add, the resort I speak of in South Africa while on some very big mountains only had 2 slopes of 500meters each, often no natural snow, so 100% man made, and when people find out I'm from South Africa one of the first things they ask is do I surf, and the answer is, never. Yet South Africa has world class waves, Jeffrey's Bay is in the world top 10 spots, yet considering all this, I snowboard.....go figure.

#1,549 ·
Bellingham WA and Stevens Pass

I'm a long-time snowboarder. I live in Bellingham, WA, the city of subdued excitement, and switched over to riding snow skates about four years ago. Last year, the general manager at Mt. Baker, my local mountain, decided that snow skates were unfit for his chair lifts (I had ridden there two years in a row before it became an issue), which is unlike every other mountain in the state. This was dutifully written up in Starfish, the snowskate mag, but it hasn't changed their policy. I'm also old enough to remember that type of discrimination, and when Mt. Baker was the progressive resort that let snowboarders like Terry Kidwell, purple spandex tights and all, on the mountain. If Mt. Baker wants to be like Deer Valley, fine, but it still was a sad day to realize that it was no longer the resort for me. I won't support them financially.

So now I ride at Stevens Pass. I have a short freestyle deck (Danny Kass 36") and a longer Florida Powderskate. I mostly stick to blue runs as tackling black diamonds with no bindings are a bit out of my reach so far. I love powder days, the only days I get out the Powderskate.

I'd really like to meet other people to go riding at Stevens Pass in Washington State.

No, you don't have to ride a snow skate too; there's so few of us out there. Instead, I'd ask that you like riding trees, particularly the squirrel trail at Stevens and all the similar sweet spots. I don't ride park much but occasionally will have a go; not having bindings makes rail slides a whole other challenge.I'm also as fast as I can be on a snowskate, but that's not necessarily as fast as someone on an all mountain board who's bombing the run.

This year I'm probably going to be on the Muffin Run bus on Tuesdays, starting in January. Meeting at the mountain or on the bus would be fine. Alternatively, I'd be happy to share driving duties from Bellingham on other days than Tuesday.

#1,551 ·
Been reading threads on the site for a while, but finally decided to start posting here. I'm 27. Been snowboarding since college up in seattle (alpental, and stevens), but I recently moved to sf bay area, so now I do most of my boarding in tahoe (heavenly or northstar mostly). I used to do primarily backcountry, but a couple years ago, i started transitioning into park riding. Nowadays I pretty much stay in the park all day, with maybe a few tree runs every now and then depending on the conditions.
I'm hoping to progress this year in my rail riding. trying to work on hitting kinks, as well as trying new ways of getting on/off of rails/boxes (180/270 on, 180 off, etc.) and hold my nose/tail presses on longer features. Also trying to go bigger on jumps and try bigger rotations. Can do 3's on medium kickers, want to see if i can finish this season with 5's.
Hope to keep getting valuable advice from this site, and maybe contributing some myself.

#1,552 ·
Hey everybody,

New the forum, and started snowboarding last year. Been a skater off and on for 25+ years, but 10 days on the hill last year has me hooked like nothing else. Really happy to have stumbled upon this gem of a site. So many great tips for getting better in every way possible. I can't wait to kick off the season after Christmas, and put those tips and info to use. My goals for the season are dynamic turns (carving and skidded), park play, and vast improvement in the trees and pow. Got myself a Mammoth season pass and I'm aiming for 30+ days this season- SNOW ALREADY!!

-Zombaco

#1,553 ·
Hey snowboarders.

I am 18 years old and live in Maryland.

I mainly ride at shitty resorts like Liberty, Roundtop, and Whitetail in PA, but try to go to a real mountain at least every other year.

I've been to Jay Peak, VT, Tremblant, Canada, and Squaw Valley, California and plan to move to either Lake Tahoe or Vermont shortly after college.

I've been snowboarding since I was 8 and still love it more than anything.

I'm not much of a jib kid, but 25+ ft kickers excite me and those are another story :D

That is all.

#1,554 ·
Hello from Michigan!

I joined the other day and might as well intro myself. I am 34 and from the Boyne area of Michigan. I have been snowboarding for 3 years now and am still not a midwest black diamond rider but that's ok. I enjoy winding trails through the woods anyway, not some steep wide open slope under a high speed lift or anything like that. No park or pipe either. I've only ridden locally.

I'm riding a Burton Supermodel X from two or three years ago with CO2 bindings, K2 boa boots I'm not a fan of, wear a helmet, and have Smith I/O goggles. That should cover the equipment.

Have fun everyone!

#1,558 ·
What I need?

What do I need?
Well snow would be good, but first things first.
I need your help to find me suitable equipment that would best suit my size and build.

Status: beginner - Can stop forwards & backwards, but haven't learnt to turn yet.
Weight - 20 stone 6 pounds
Height - 6 foot 1 inch
Feet - size 11
Wealth - I wish - and cost will therefore be a factor, even if I have to look on ebay

From the information I've stated, can you suggest equipment that will give me reasonable value for money, for a board and boots?

Appreciated,
Paul

#1,559 ·
intro

My name is Bryan and I live in Boise Idaho but I travel all over the region to hit up the best resorts around. I started snowboarding in 1990 when I moved to Colorado as a kid and have been at it ever since. I don’t really ride park at all or groomers for that matter, I mostly get out of bounds and into the trees. From there I like to jump off anything but mostly I’m always searching for the best powder stashes. Anyway I decided to join the forum because I have a few questions on gear and thought I would talk to all of you.

#1,560 ·
Hey!

I'm a 30 year old male who worked in high school and into college at a Midwestern ski/board shop and occasionally rode for Rossignol in middling midwestern boardercross events.

I've been out of the game for the better part of the last decade because of college, a job, where I live, and an injury. Thankfully, the injury has been fixed (shoulder reconstruction) and family relocated to COlorado (and we are moving soon ourselves.

I am primarily a freerider with no pipe or park. I like steep, deep, and fast

I currently ride an "old" Rossignol Premier 159 with Rossi bindings but I am looking to upgrade both. The only thing equipment-wise I have upgraded so far is my boots. I got a wicked deal on a pair of 686 New Balance double Boas. they are WAY better than my "old" Rossis that hurt my feet by the end of every run.

I've got other posts about it (board section) but I am looking for advice on a new board. I hope to get a new one pretty quickly.

Thanks!

#1,561 ·
Mornin all. First post in this forum. I lurked around here for a while before deciding on a new board, so I figured it was time to join. I'm 34 years old and started riding about 8 years ago. Riding has really turned into an obsession! Of course I only get out about 10 or so days a season, but having a couple kids will do that to ya.

Anyway, thanks to some of killer, in depth posts on here I decided on a Never Summer Raptor X 165. Im 5'11, weigh around 250 and sport a size 13 boot. Big boy, I know, but love to freeride. Not much of a park junky, save a few fun boxes and kickers. Mounted to the board are a pair of Rome Arsenal bindings and my DC boots (Phase I think). I'm quite happy with my setup so far, now that I have the NS!

Look forward to getting to know the community, and maybe see some of you out there in Bear/Summit. I will be hitting Mammoth at the end of Feb, provided the white fluffy decides to fall this year.

See y'all out there.

#1,562 ·
Hey everyone, I joined up here awhile back to search through the posts on gear reviews and whatnot, figured I'd introduce myself now. I'm Jordan, 28 yrs old, been boarding for about 10 years. Just got new gear for '11/'12:

K2 Parkstar 157
Union Force bindings
32 Prion boots

I've been riding a Custom X w/ P1's for the past five years and I decided I wanted to switch it up and get something really comfortable and more playful that I can take in the park.

I'm from the SF Bay Area so I mostly board in Tahoe and the lower Sierras (Dodge Ridge & Bear Valley)

Pray for snow everyone, I'm dying to get back out there

:thumbsup:

#1,563 ·
hey everybody,

I'm 29 and from the VA suburbs of DC. I've been riding since I was 13, and have ridden quite a bit in CO (Telluride is one of my favorite places on earth), Arosa Switzerland a few times, Utah once, Mont Tremblant Canada, and lots of boring little east coast stuff. I would call my abilities advanced freeride, and intermediate freestyle. I've dabbled in the back-country but don't have much experience there. I'm moving to northern Cali in the spring, and am planning on moving to Telluride CO next winter! Super excited about all that. Just got a new board, my setup is this:

2012 Never Summer Proto CT 157
2007 Burton C60 bindings
2012 Burton Ruler boots

Anyways, this season I'll probably do quite a few day trips to Whitetail PA when conditions are ideal, and I'm going up to Stratton Vermont mid January for a week, and then in late Feburary I'll be at Snowbird UT for a week. Now if only the snow gods would start cooperating!!!

#1,569 ·
Man, that's exactly how I feel! There were only very small kickers the day I had it out, and one lil 8' tabletop, so I wasn't able to do a whole lot, but man it's got soooo much pop! I'm not totally used to the rocker yet, but it definitely makes it ride more playful than a traditional camber board, and the camber near the tips gives it awesome grip. Never Summer is amazing, I gotta give them props!